Nachricht #153 aus Archiv der Liste lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com

Von: "Doug Bissett" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Kopfzeilen anzeigen
E-Mail Quelltext
Betreff: Re: [lswitcher-dev] XCenter widget
Datum: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:05:08 -0700 (MST)

On 2020-11-25, at 19:16:32, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a keyboard person, so to me lSwitcher's "main" act is the PM popup, which lets me handle a lot of things without ever
> reaching for the mouse. Although I use the taskbar, I mostly ignore it, and so I am rather unacquainted with the widget. Now
> that we have been discussing adequate labeling, something I am always up for, I decided I'd give the widget another go, and I
> have some suggestions.

I am a mouse person (I hate typing). Mind control would be even better,
but the driver has not, yet, been developed.

> -First, I don't think the widget should list the XCenter(s), just as the window list widget does: basically, an XCenter entry takes
> up room in the lSwitcher XCenter widget, and clicking on it accomplishes nothing (please correct me where I go wrong!), so I
> think this should go. An obvious, quick and dirty solution is to add "*XCenter*" (to account for most variations) to the filter list,
> but I don't really see the point of it being there in the first
place.

A click, or two, and they are filtered. The point would be, that
somebody might want them there. There are other default options that I
would like to see changed, but there is nothing wrong with the way it
is. Others (perhaps the majority) might want it the way that it is.
User choice. Programming by survey, is rarely an ideal thing to do.
because everybody wants something different, and nobody will be happy
anyway.

> I guess you could list and offer to close *other* XCenters from the lSwitcher widget, but "close" is not an option currently
> available for XCenters from the widget popup menu.

Never even thought about doing that. XCenter close is on the XCenter
popup, and that has been added to the widget popup. What more do you
want/need? In fact, it doesn't make any sense to offer to close the
host of something that you are using. Leave it alone.

> -Other tasks popup menu: they all have an "lSwitcher widget" submenu, but out of the six entries in it, only "Properties"
> corresponds to the widget itself; another three correspond exclusively to the XCenter (add widget / XCenter properties /
> close), and the last two could be attributed to either (help splits, and "delete widget" works for both). I propose "lSwitcher
> widget" be renamed to "lSwitcher / XCenter", or whatever you
suggest.

You know what? Rich spent time making those extra menu items happen,
because it is a PITA when they don't. Leave it the way that it is, it
is working properly (if not ideally). Remember that a lot of the
lSwitcher widget support is done by XCenter, not lSwitcher. That has
the added advantage that the widget works like other widgets, with a
lot less program overhead (and fewer problems, simply because lSwitcher
doesn't need to manage windows, and so on). Sometimes I wonder why the
widget is not the only option for lSwitcher. Supporting it would be a
LOT easier.

> -Finally, with two XCenters an lSwitcher can be added to each, but only the first one will unfold (and an error message pops up
> next time you try to open both XCenters). Adding a second lSwitcher to an XCenter is not allowed, OK, but then so it should
> be the case on a second XCenter if it won't work.

ONE XCenter can have ONE lSwitcher widget. That is by design, and
should NOT be changed. There can be more things on the XCenter, that
should be opened, not just lSwitcher. Adding it to a second XCenter is
really an USER problem, not a lSwitcher problem (it could probably be
handled more gracefully, but that is an XCenter thing). On the other
hand, other widgets, that are not allowed to have multiple copies
running, manage to grey out the option in the XCenter (poorly named,
but I can't think of anything better) Create New Widget popup, so a
user cannot add it a second time (whether it is the current XCenter, or
the "other" one, but that seems to be selectable, under some
conditions). lSwitcher should do that, when it is already assigned to
an XCenter, whether the assigned XCenter is open, or not. Rich probably
knows how that is done.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system
dougb007 at telus.net