Nachricht #16 aus Archiv der Liste lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com

Von: "Alfredo Fernández Díaz" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Kopfzeilen anzeigen
E-Mail Quelltext
Betreff: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher 2.92 RC 6
Datum: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 20:57:40 +0200
An: lSwitcher Developers Mailing List <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com>

Hi everyone,

On 20/08/31 02:46, Lewis wrote:
On 08/30/20 06:06 pm, Alfredo Fern�ndez D�az wrote:
<snip>
Yes, will split 'Servidor', sure. As for 'crucial para la temporizaci�n',
that is just about the worst possible translation I could come up with
yesterday, in more ways than one, but it wasn't my finest hour. I know what
the help says 'time-critical' is, but could anyone please try and give me a
couple synonyms that I can hopefully use tomorrow as an inspiration?

Well the dialog itself just says "Cr�tica". Whether this may be improved upon
is another matter. Let's see...

Perhaps "Critical" is the best English substitute (not a synonym, as it's part
of the original). The point is that threads of this class will take precedence
even over foreground server. Unlike foreground server, these threads cannot be
interrupted by any other class for any reason.

Thank you in advance.

HTH

Yes, the problem with "Cr�tica" was adding something to it, which always made it look less critical. Also, "crucial" kind of requires "for", which can be understood as nearly the opposite of "because of" there. I hope this will look better in the next live review. (I have compiled the help and read it again, it was just too soon to have proper perspective.) Thank you for your input. (hey, isn't that the same as "because of" now? ;)

PS - I'm also somewhat confused concerning process priority as it pertains to
VDMs. AFAIK, the only control over VDMs is delta, and this may only be set in
the DOS SETTINGS, prior to session start. I thought all VDMs were class 2
priority, and the delta applied to all active VDMs in the system. More
investigation needed for this, I guess.

Wow. After all these years, it's really refreshing to bump into an area of the system still totally unbeknownst to me as a user. :O

Now, while programs expanding system capabilities as above (developers please confirm!) is something I am always happy to hear of, similar 'expansions' may not work as intended in some areas. For some reason the system won't let you Cascade or Tile some windows, such as the Desktop itself, or the DHCP monitor from the Window list, and I just did it with lSwitcher. However, results do not always look 'happy' -- have a look at the screenshots.

On a different note, I noticed it's much easier than I thought to make the legend of keys and functions clip at the popup window edges (see 'clip' screenshot). Wouldn't this look better wrapped into two lines? I also noticed there are often other active hotkeys not shown, which is suboptimal for UIs (if users turn the option on but hotkeys are not on screen how will they ever learn them? you certainly don't expect them to read the manual, do you?). I think a legend that expands to two lines as needed will always hold everything comfortably.

And now that we're fringing RFE territory, something that I finally had the time to pinpoint before reporting:

Help says "'Reduce Desktop workarea' /will/ fail " [with XCenter], and now lSwitcher actually prevents you from checking it with 'auto-resize'. I thought this would be because of the new XWP, but there must be some other reason -- I just checked a fresh AOS5055 (so newest XWP) with Andrei's last lSwitcher and it can reduce the Desktop workarea cooperatively with XCenter (see lsw_old), so no need to prevent users from checking this. I would consider this a regression.

As for a real RFE, PM popup icons have a context menu that you can bring up by clicking on them with MB2. How about making the PM popup react to the same PM message coming from the keyboard? (Originally mapped to Shift-F10, can also be triggered on Windows keys with Styler).

That's all for now.

Best regards,
Anlage:  prmdlges.dlg (10242 Bytes)
Anlage:  lswitch_es.ipf (67312 Bytes)
Anlage:  lsw_cascade.png (8232 Bytes)
Anlage:  lsw_tile.png (5895 Bytes)
Anlage:  lsw_DTop.png (125166 Bytes)
Anlage:  lsw_clip.png (209259 Bytes)
Anlage:  lsw_old.png (25389 Bytes)

Abonnieren: Nachricht (Feed), Sammelnachricht (Digest), Index.
Abmelden
E-Mail an ListMaster