Mensaje archivado #177 de la Lista lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com

De: "Gregg Young" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Encabezados Completos
Mensaje no decodificado
Asunto: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher-2-93-0-RC_3.wpi
Fecha: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 12:42:25 -0700 (MST)

Hi Alfred

>Now that I think of it... if the lSwitcher widget lists XCenters, why
>won't it let offer Close at least for *the other one* from its context
>menu n the widget? You could rightfully argue that closing "this"
>XCenter is not a necessary option on the widget because the whole
>XCenter area already has it in its popup menu, but that's not true for
>"the other" one.

It has always been this way. I will need to figure out if there is a reason for that.

>XCenters always have Close on their popup menu in the system Window
>list.
>
>>Hopefully, it fixes the funny box
>>on the global page only seen in Spanish.
>
>Nope. At 800x600, the text is clipped so it looks like "Ctrl+Alt-"
>and the square seems to be gone, but on a bigger screen the dialog is
>readjusted and the square is still clearly there.

This is fixed

>>I also tried to improve some of
>>the dialog spacing (centered the hot key in its entry field, etc).
>
>I confirm that's centered.
>
>OK, on to font issues...
>
>On screenshot one, you can see (1) Times Roman or some other serif
>font is still used on the Run dialog, and
This is fixed.

(2) some font is used for
>the taskbar popup menus (up right), that is changed to a bolder one
>on screenshot two. AFAICT, the bolder one is the normal font for such
>menus in the rest of the system, but in lsw 2.93 I need to play with
>the language dropdown for the menu to use that font (switch, and switch
>back, check -- you don't even need to use the Save button in between).

This is true -- the settings change immediately. Save writes them to the ini file.

>On the other hand, drawing the dialogs with Times New Roman is still
>ridiculously slow,

I see no difference in speed here. Since the only font shipped with Warp 4 in all languages that has all the glyphs needed is New Times Roman MT 30 I am stuck with it. I could pick a better font if I limited support to ArcaOS (perhaps eCS don't know what extra fonts they included) This is meant for someone who wants to have lSwitcher in their language when the system isn't. While they probably have better fonts installed I have no way of knowing what they might be.

 and I wonder if there's any need for this -- please
>let me explain:
>
>Screenshot #3 is 2.92 again, in Russian. Everything looks right, except
>for a few characters on the menu (upper right corner) -- and this is not
>even a Russian (or Russian-enabled) system!

I don't see this with my current build (made a change that hopefully fixed it). I have seen it in the past. Even then it was always fixed by closing and reopening lSwitcher.

>On a system where I would expect to use programs with a Russian (read:
>whatever language) UI, do you think I wouldn't have fonts covering the
>necessary characters in place, if not provided with the system already?

ArcaOS currently doesn't ship Russian or any of the other languages (except English). This is meant for someone who wants an English system in Russian to the greatest extent possible. If I am going to make the language select able they need to render properly independent of the language of the underlying system.

There is no need to make the language select able if the only goal is to have lSwitcher in the system language. The language can easily be set in the code for this case.

I am now wondering if I should suppress this code for a system that is in Russian (or PL or CZ). Off to get the RU ArcaOS beta to see.

>Case in point: I have an older Spanish work system where naturally
>Spanish non-ASCII characters are displayed correctly all the time. I
>expect this may not be the case for the Global tab (CP1207),

The only reason this wouldn't work is if the system predates the use of uconv.dll or if it doesn't have the Warp Sans and/or Helv fonts installed. None of which is likely.

Thanks

Gregg

 but when
>the time comes to switch that system to the current lSwitcher, I won't
>complain Spanish text doesn't display properly there -- if anything, I
>will ask you what font I need to update!
>
>Now, on that same system, Russian text does not render correctly in
>general (you know I have other systems where Russian is a must) -- well,
>I don't even have CODEPAGE=866 there. Do you think I would complain
>if the lSwitcher UI failed to show its Russian menus, etc.? I will
>certainly not.
>
>Feel free to counter-argument, for I may be overlooking stuff, but
>please remember I say all of this in the spirit of saving you efforts
>that may be unnecessary :)
>
>Thank you,
>

>----< Inline text [text-plain-02.txt] >------------------

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
><lswitcher-dev-digest@2rosenthals.com>
>To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to
><lswitcher-dev-index@2rosenthals.com>
>Send administrative queries to <lswitcher-dev-request@2rosenthals.com>
>To subscribe (new addresses), E-mail to:
><lswitcher-dev-on@2rosenthals.com> and reply to the confirmation email.
>Web archives are publicly available at: http://lists.2rosenthals.com
>
>This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
>P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
>electronic communications related to content
>contained in these messages should be directed
>to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)

Correo al dueño de la Lista