From: "Doug Bissett" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher-2-93-0-RC_4.wpi
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:00:22 -0700 (MST)

On 2020-12-13, at 13:20:26, Gregg Young wrote:

> Hi
>
> Attached is lSwitcher 2.93 RC 4. It hopefully fixes all of the font, menu and layout issues identified by Alfred.
>
> Still to do/decide on.
> 1. ¨Adding undo to the settings?
> A. make the hide button work as described in the help (ie only save non-settings stuff to the ini on close?

"Undo" never did make a lot of sense. It is okay if you realize that you did something wrong, before closing the notebook, but usually you close the notebook, try it, then realize that something is wrong. By that time, "Undo" doesn't do much good. "Reset to default" makes a lot more sense, and should be easier to do.

> B. Implement a full undo? This is from an earlier email:
> a. What do we intend for "undo" to actually do? Should it undo all the changes on every page or just the current page? Should it
> close the dialog or leave it open for additional changes?

IMO, "undo" should only undo the current page. Others may think otherwise. It should remain open, because you way want to actually make some changes. <see 1>

> b. How do we handle exclude lists do I undo the last entry added/removed or do I need to determine all the entries made in this
> session for removal or adding back perhaps some of each kind.

Personally, I don't think those entries should be included in "undo". They are pretty easy to adjust, one way or the other. Others may think otherwise.

> c. Significant changes of this kind add complexity and as such more opportunity for defects. Is having what will probably be a
> little used option worth this?

NO! Quit while you are ahead. It may not be "perfect", but it seems to work okay. Messing around with it is likely to break something else.

> d. This must account for the differences between the taskbar and the widget. (2 sets of code to get out of sync)
> C. Remove the hide button and change Save to Ok.

Perhaps for the Taskbar, certainly not for the widget (IMO). You would also need Cancel, so that changes don't get saved.

I am not too sure why you are still supporting the Taskbar.  It is a LOT more complicated, and is totally unnecessary when the widget does the same thing, without a LOT of the overhead. I do realize, that some people are stuck in their ways, and want the Taskbar. The question is, "is it worth the extra work?" IMO, NO! As a user, I much prefer the widget.

> D. Fix the help to match the choice made if needed.

Help should always match what it is going to do. That is probably one of the more difficult things to get right.  :-)

> 2. Add "close" to xCenter context menu for the Taskbar
> 3. Determine the effect of the codepage and font changes for Russian etc when lSwitcher is run on a Russian etc system.

This is one of the challenges to supporting multiple languages. Ideally, there should be no changes required, but we all know how well that works.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system
dougb007 at telus.net