Fra: "Doug Bissett" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Emne: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher-2-93-0-RC_6.wpi
Dato: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:27:59 -0600 (MDT)

On 2021-08-15, at 14:52:27, Gregg Young wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:36:16 -0400 Lewis wrote:
> >
> >Hi...
> >
> >On 08/15/21 08:57 am, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

> >>As I tried to explain (albeit maybe too briefly, sorry) this still breaks (more?) things...
> >>
> >>I am perfectly aware that the WIS contains non-English characters, so specifying CODEPAGE is not enough -- what you
> state there must be the one in use as well, so if the original used CP850 characters, a proper conversion is in order, sure.
> >>
> >>Still, WarpIN is not handling this correctly...
> >>
> >><snip>
> >>
> >>Lewis, did you notice I reported this was a problem that showed up /on a Russian system/, and nowhere else? -- Ulrich's
> name was always properly processed and rendered on my main system (main CP always 850).
> >>

> >You got me there. I was only testing in English. My first go-round told me that XWP was not installed, as it couldn't match
> Ulrich's name in the db. Once I converted the script to UTF-8, all was right with the world.
> >
> >>I am attaching two screenshots to illustrate that something (which may or may not be new, and/or related to the problem
> with not finding XWP in the database) breaks when you convert the WIS:
> >>
> >>lsw@ru_CP850.png shows how the readme (CP 850) is rendered on this Russian system under CP 866 when the wis is
> CP850-encoded: see the "?" on my name? That is possibly a rendering-only, cosmetic problem.
> >>
> >>Now, let's convert the WIS to UTF (and change its CODEPAGE attribute accordingly), and fire up WarpIN on that again:
> see lsw@ru_CP850.png, look at my name again.
> >>
> >>That is a UTF conversion problem, which may or may not be related to the one I reported initially, but we definitely brought
> it up converting the WIS to CP 1208 aka UTF8.
> >>

> >The WarpIN source says that we handle extracted files (EXTRACTFROMPCK) like so:
> >
> >if (!G_pCurrentPageInfo->_ulExtractFromPck)
> >    str2Insert.assignUtf8(pLocals->_pCodecGui,
> >                          G_pCurrentPageInfo->_ustrReadmeSrc);
> >else
> >{
> >    // use _strReadmeSrc as a file name:
> >    // V1.0.11 (2006-08-31) [pr]: was using Unicode filename for Readme @@fixes 812
> >    ULONG cpSrc = Engine._pCurrentArchive->_pScript->_ulCodepage;
> >    BSUniCodec codecSrc(cpSrc);
> >    BSString strReadmeSrc(&codecSrc, G_pCurrentPageInfo->_ustrReadmeSrc);
> >    BSString strTempFileName;
> >    APIRET arc;
> >
> >    if (!(arc = Engine.ExtractTempFile(G_pCurrentPageInfo->_ulExtractFromPck,
> >                                       strReadmeSrc.c_str(),  // V1.0.11 (2006-08-11)
> >                                       &strTempFileName)))
> >    {
> >        // successfully extracted:
> >        PSZ pszContent = NULL;
> >        if (!(arc = doshLoadTextFile(strTempFileName.c_str(),
> >                                     &pszContent,
> >                                     NULL)))
> >        {
> >            // check what codepage the script was created in...
> >            // we assume that the "readme" file was written in
> [...]

I think the main "problem", is that the WarpIn database, is not a real database, and simply stores whatever it is told to store. That data comes from the WIS (hopefully not changed). From what I have seen, it stores it in whatever the system code page is, at the time the package is installed. Change the code page, and it is possible that some characters change (or don't exist). Then they won't match any more. This would actually be pretty rare. In this case, it is the special character in the Vendor name that is messing it up (a quick scan shows no other similar cases, but that is only for what I have installed). WarpIn could probably be changed to store special characters as an escaped character, but that means that old databases would need to be converted, or accepted as they are, somehow.

There seems to be a different problem, where displayed text is not being handled properly. That should probably always use the system code page, and any characters that cannot be properly displayed should be replaced by whatever character is standard. I would assume that Russian text would always display properly in CP 866. What is in the database should be irrelevant, but it should always match the WIS contents so other programs can check it. It seems, to me, that a translation is being done on what is stored in the database, and that should not be the case. How that can be done, is a whole different question.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system

Abboner: Feed, Digest, Index.
Stopp abbonement