From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-netware_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-netware_users-owner <os2-netware_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2NetWare] Client support in development and planning stages
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:20:16 -0400
To: OS/2 NetWare Users <os2-netware_users@2rosenthals.com>

First some good news, and then some stuff which we should probably split off into different threads:

I have been working with Netlabs to develop an IPSec-based VPN client to allow us to connect to BorderManager 3.8 VPNs. The owrk is progressing, and I hope to have some code to test in the near future (within a month or so). Once we iron out the kinks, the next phase of this project will be to write a GUI for it.

At this point, while Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC is absorbing the development cost, we intend to release the VPN client free of charge. There will most likely be some installation support available, and fee-based follow-up support, when needed (but let's face it: how many times do we need to contact Novell for support with their VPN client?).

Rough estimates (and these are really rough) for the project timeline would be a beta release 1Q 2006, and a GA in 2Q 2006.

Next, as a follow-on to the VPN client, I want to commission an IP-aware NetWare client, which will allow us to connect in pure-IP environments and to OES boxes running on the Linux kernel. Toward that end, I need your help. I want to put together a list of must-have features (yes, I know several of us have been over this ground before; I want to cover it again) and a list of "nice to have" features for the client. Again, this work will probably be funded by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, but nothing is as yet set into stone.

Ultimately, I'd like both the BorderManager VPN client and the Novell client to be bundled with eCS, and have Alex Taylor integrate these with the installer.

Finally, I want to discuss the feasibility of eDirectory for OS/2, which would allow those of us with OS/2 servers to get them to participate in eDirectory replication, as we do now with Linux, Solaris, Win32, and NetWare.

BTW, Warpstock was great this year. While I made the decision early on to not repeat my NetWare session this year due to time constraints related to my chairing of the event, I had more people come up to me to discuss NetWare issues than last year or 2003. I even did a client install on a test system at my vendor booth.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth

Warpstock 2005 - Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 2005            www.warpstock.org
(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)