From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-netware_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-netware_users-owner <os2-netware_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2NetWare] Reply to Get Nearest Server fun
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:35:11 -0400
To: os2-netware_users@2rosenthals.com

Hi, Nemes!

Yes, the client file caching issue and those pesky level 2 oplocks!! 99% of the time, I turn that stuff off right out of the box, just in case we run any db apps. Recently (this past week, in fact), I discovered that I'd forgotten to do that on a server running Timberline Accounting. As soon as I got the trouble report of inconsistent "locked file" errors, I knew what the problem was. I was just surprised to see that I'd forgotten something so basic: turn off file caching at the client, turn on file commit on the client; set level 2 oplocks enabled = off and set client file caching enabled = off at the server. It used to be that the Support Pack install made the server changes in AUTOEXEC. I think Novell got a little over confident with some of the later SPs, and now they leave these settings untouched.

And as you say, it's not just the setting change; it's cleaning up the mess that's been made in the interim...

Level 2 oplocks: another miraculous invention of M$ with which we must do battle. What next??

On 06/26/2005 04:00 am, Nemes Szabolcs thus wrote :
Hi!

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:30:52 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

For some odd reason, installing BM 3.8 seems to set Reply to Get Nearest Server off.

It's advisable -and i used- to write these settings into the
autoexec.ncf too, i think. On the one hand it's simpler to check the
settings, on the other hand life is safer :)))
Approx a half year ago one of the patches (maybe nw5.1sp6 ?) set
"client file caching enabled" to 'ON' (the default). JUST THIS wasn't
set in autoexec.ncf...
Because we're using some old clipper-progs on ~100 machines, it must be
'OFF'. Of course the phones were red&hot in ten minutes :)))
There was a half-day mess to locate the problem and tidy up
(dbf-checking/indexing, etc.)

Nemes Szabolcs

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth

Warpstock 2005 - Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 2005            www.warpstock.org
(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)