From: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Timeout problem
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:50:16 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 19:25:21 +0200, Jeroen Besse wrote:

>On 8/9/06, John Poltorak <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>>
>> Apologies for another non-wireless problem, but it's about OS/2 networking
>> so is partially on-topic...
>>
>> Can anyone suggest where I should look to discover how to deal with
>> timeouts on a network connection?
>>
>> It appears between a DELL laptop which has a Broadcom chip and an IBM
>> server using an IBM ethernet card. The IBM server is accessible from other
>> systems but all those systems are limited to 10Mbps. Do I need to set the
>> DELL to 10 Mbps or will it autoadjust?
>
>I'd say, don't do autoadjust. Some vendor NICs can't autoadjust when
>the other side is some other vendor NIC. Don't know whether your 2
>NICs have this problem intercommunicating.
>However, if the problem disappears when you set them both to the same
>speed (for instance 10Mbps half duplex), you know you have this
>problem. Then, either keep them at fixed speeds, or replace one of the
>NICs.

You don't say if these are connected through a hub/switch or with a Xover
cable. If the latter and the NICs are set to auto negotiate, or even on older
PCI cards with different types of connector on the same card and *that*
detection is set to auto, nothing happening is common. The problem is both NICs
are waiting for the *other* end to do something.

--
Regards

Dave Saville