os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1070

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Changed -> SOCKET.SYS crash - I give up
Data: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:41:30 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

In all of that, you still didn't give me the actual trap message you're seeing. You did, however, reiterate that you had  (an) issue(s) with SOCKETS.SYS before,  and so you did probably bring over some skeletons in the closet.

On 08/13/06 08:16 pm, Rick R. thus wrote :
This one is going to be LOOON as well, sorry.

Lewis, when people tell me that its in essence "my fault", even so those SOCKET.SYS crashes are both unacceptable SW flaws and should not be happening any more AS I PATCHED EACH AND EVERY DRIVER that the official IBM bug report claims needs patching, then I recon I got the right to respond picky after I just lived through 48 hours of CONSTANT CRASHES!

NO, that doesn't give you the right to do anything of the sort. This is *my* list, and bad behavior is simply not something to be tolerated. The very fact that this topic is afield from wireless networking (as it deals with a problem common to your wired interface) means that it continues solely at my discretion.

H-ll, if I took out on everyone here who gives me advice when I have a bad day, nobody would be talking to me. I say this as someone who is routinely direct and to the point (I inherited my father's distinct lack of tact; character flaw or dynamism, only time will tell). However, I do not - ever - insult those people who offer their advice to me, whether I find it useful or not. If it is something which appears to be totally off-base, I simply do not respond.
That everyone else got to read that, too, I'm sorry for, but that's the nature of this mailing list - if I could have addressed my reply to just one person then I would have.
Neil's reply was both utterly unhelpful as insulting by itself.
To tell someone whose driver's won't work: "go to eBay and buy a Thinkpad", is about as helpful as telling a guy whose car won't start on his way to work: "go to eBay and buy a new car" - Heellooo, help me get my car running please or just keep smiling.
But don't give me advise that is more like advice.

If you're driving a patched together VW Beetle which constantly stalled, sputtered, and squeaked, you might very well get the advice to get another car; it's not out of the question.
That I already have a Thinkpad and have been using TPs for the last 5 years is just an added "bonus" here.
In any case, there are no "skeletons" in my closet.
I had those SOCKET.SYS crashes for years and I applied all the patches I could find on the Internet to get rid of them.

And did you "get rid of them?" Most of us have not suffered through such stack issues "for years," which leads me to believe that this is something else in your setup. My brother gets constant crashes in SeaMonkey. There's nothing wrong with SeaMonkey, as I keep reminding him; his profile is corrupt and needs to be rebuilt.
I patched single files, I patched the entire package, I checked time stamps by hand.
Sometimes it seemed to work, only to then start crashing again (sometimes 2-3 weeks later).

Maybe after you ran something else...?
So I accepted having to live with just the occosanial crash every now and then.
But now I installed VPN tunnel and other SW that keeps my Internet connection bz all the time.
I have to down- & upload gigabytes of files and the result is CRASHES, CRASHES, CRASHES.
Those XPIs only increased NW traffic, but that should not cause the stack to blow.

Nope, it surely should not. You did not mention anything about a VPN connection before. Could we just try to troubleshoot the problem with a bare TCP/IP config for a single adapter and a stripped down CONFIG.SYS?
So when people just blamed it on the XPIs, as "a quick way out", I thought that was less than helpful.

"People" as in...who? I didn't. Neil didn't. Andy didn't. Steve didn't.
I don't need a flawless box, but how can I dare to use my system for work if it crashes all the time? I'm a computer consultant and that just makes me look foolish.
I'm a computer consultant, too. I understand. However,  I try to approach my system as I approach my clients' systems, by remaining calm and going through things methodically, using a very simple setup at first. Simplicity is the key. Blaming the software for what may very well be the fault of something else - as the rest of us are not seeing what you are seeing - is simply unprofessional.

And no, there are no RAM or "hairline crack" isues here.
Both my Windoze a my TCP/IP stackless OS/2 maintenance partition work completely w/o crashes after using them for hours or even days at a time.

You did not mention that you even had Windows installed on the system before, so again, without the whole story, how can you expect better feedback for your problem?
And migrating from an A30 to a T42p is really quite simple under OS/2.
I just de-installed all HW specific drivers (LAN, WiFi, sound & USB), reset video to VGA and then did a partition copy with DFS.
Afterwards I installed those drivers again, changed some settings in config.sys and I was in business.

Yes, that works, however, it's not necessarily the best way, and often exposes previous flaws in the configuration. Again, I would suggest a spare drive with a clean install to use as a baseline comparison.
And no, no one ever told me I could just "migrate my system to eCS".
Instead they told me that I'd loose most of my current configurarion as the eCS install is an INSTALL, not a migration tool.
My setup is very complex, both on WPS, as on config.sys and CMD level.

So is mine.
I use 4OS2 heavily, together with a complex TVFS tree and online encryption.
"Online encryption?" You mean like Cryptstream? Or some other 3DES (or similar) VPN encryption which rides over TCP?
I have over a dozen different file systems emulated on my box, I use Win32 and Unix tools seamless on it as well.
I use XFree86/2 together with HobLink's X11 and 4 different Java implementations.
I have Oracle, Sybase, DB/2 and MySQL running on my system, together with gcc, VisualC++, Pascal, Forth, Fortran, COBOL and SlickEdit.
I use OpenOffice, Lotus SmartSuite and Lotus Net, together with Maul, Papyrus and then some. And and and.

Okay, so again, I say that you need to troubleshoot on a clean, plain vanilla setup. Yes, it's time-consuming. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your current OS/2 setup. Fixing it may very well take more than a day, as well.
When I asked if I could keep my current configuration or would risk loosing it, I was told I'd likely end up with a new install for most of those.

Told...by whom? And what - aside from time - is wrong with a fresh install of some apps?
I don't think so. But I did purchase both an eCS1.2 and 2.x license and I applied all the patches from Serenity's website for years now (the TCP/IP patches as well!).

So I really wonder what eCS 1.2 has that my current OS/2 box doesn't?
I couldn't rightly say, but for those of us running 1.2 and not experiencing your problem, I'd say that, at least.
Maybe you can educate me about any specific functionallity I'm missing here and I haven't seen any production release of 2.0 yet.
There is no production release of 2.0 at this point. Functionally, I don't know. There comes a point, however, when a fresh install is good for the soul. I did it with the T43, after inheriting my T20 install on my T30. I just didn't want to have to take all that baggage with me to the new hardware this time, so I just bit the bullet and did it, and I'm glad I did.

I really don't want to continue this rapidly downhill sliding OT discussion. If Roderick has offered his assistance either on- or off-list, then that's great; you should probably follow up with him (he does a good portion of the eCS support, anyhow, and surely has a more direct line to get issues addressed - should they be required - than I).

Why don't you post back to a fresh thread after you and Roderick have a chance to go through some things? For reference, as I see you asked him for it, Roderick's email address is rwklein [AT] mensys <dot> nl. Best of luck with this.

<snip>

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com