From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: C an faulty TCP/IP packages cayse AFINET(k) /SOCKETS crashes?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:13:32 -0700 (PDT)

Roderick, all I'm doing is telling you as it is.
Just because this makes (some parts of) OS/2 "look bad", doesn't mean its >my fault<.
I'd love to send you that other info again, but right now my HPFS is shot.
I guess it crashed once to often, and now chkdsk insists to remove thousands of files of mine upon reboot.
So I recon I'll be spending the next few days trying to restore that box from backup.

Lucky me I could, in the meantime, requesition a co-worker's PC for my job (Windoze!).

And yes, sometimes it did use to take a while for the crash to happen.
But again, that makes perfect sense if its a spike (sudden change in network traffic), that's causing the crash to happen.

Now in the office I could crash the box everytime(!) with trying to install a network printer object. As soon as I tried to query the available network printers, the system crash dumped.

And by the way, I got rid of AFINETK and replaced ith with AFLEAN (not even sure if that's supported) and SOCKETSK(!)
But I still got a crash dump (-> nw printer query), but this time with SOCKETS (no K) as the supposed culprit.
But I didn't even load SOCKETS, only SOCKETSK.

Roderick Klein <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:38:46 -0700 (PDT), Rick R. wrote:

>Hey Roderick, I e-mailed you every inch of data you requested.
> Including my Config.sys and MPTN\protocol files.

Confirmed you send that to me. However I seem to remeber that I also
asked about WAL
and the output of netstat. I could be wrong but never received a reply
to this.

> Please don't try to portray this as if I'm just complaining in here, that's not helpful at all.

Well most of the emails contained a lot of noise and little information
for example not many people know of the setup you are running.
I also have very mixed impressions about if during the testing

> And the root cause of the error is damn clear, its a faulty TCP/IP stack.

That the stack is trapping does not have to mean its the stack that has
a bug ? Maybe its a driver that is causing it.
I have not seen indepth analyses here on the list of your problem. I
have not seen you post a lot of indepth information to the list.

BTW after startup of the machine what the output of netstat -m say ?
Keep an eye on the MBUFS.

> Everytime network traffic spikes (and by now I'm sure its more the spiking as heavy network traffic per se) the stack crashes.

Previous emails stated it was after a few minutes of usage, see thats
what is all so confusing.

> And there mustbe a difference between those drivers, because SOCKETSK *never* crashes.
> Its always SOCKETS OR AFINETK.
> I just can't use SOCKETSK w/o AFINETK.
>
>That the stuff runs fine on your server doesn't mean much at all.
> Different HW platform and interface cards.
>
> The point is that it fails on mine and since I tested this HW under Windoze, its not a HW failure.
>
> I appreciate that you're "Swamped in work", but so am I.
> And I risk losing my job if I keep this nonsense up much longer.

Well in my and *other* there opion you partly have this mess to thank
for yourself, sorry. Emails like this somehow support my and other
people there view on this:

In the email:
[OS2Wireless]Re: AFINETK crash - Dump Screen from the 16th of August
you wrote:
After implementing Roderick's Config.sys changes, I'm now getting the
same TRAP 000e crash with AFINETK(.SYS) as the culprit.
I think I have to give up at this time. I'm just out of guesses &
resources.

Roderick

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)