os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #119

Da: "Mark Henigan" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] VOT (very off-topic)
Data: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:55:10 -0800
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Doug LaRue wrote:
** Reply to message from "Leon D. Zetekoff" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:43:36 -0500

Why not just use one of the dozens of cordless pones and be done with it. Just connect the base unit up
to where you do have a connection to the twisted pair wire and keep the phone in the room without the
wiring. For about $40 you can get a kit with 2 phones so the 2nd phone has a small charging station.

I wouldn't touch putting the ~48v ac signal and voice calls over coax when it's so cheap and easy to just
use a cordless setup.

Hello Doug:

This is very old.  But, I just regained email access.
And, here it is!  There is no access to a connection
with TP.  The run is short.  The main issue is current
not voltage (so long as the dielectric constant of the
cable is within a reasonable range) because heating of
a wire is proportional to the square of the current
without even considering the voltage.  Also, since the
run is short, the capacitance of the cable does not
amount to enough to adversely affect transmission.

Finally, I don't want multiple extensions for this
phone.  It is the main number for an itinerant medical
practice.  Privacy is an issue, as is not wanting to
have it intrude into every room of the house.

I'm sorry that I didn't put a diagram together to show
what I was describing in words since the words clearly
did not communicate the physical circumstances I was
facing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Mark

Mark Henigan
--

Doug

Mark...I would NOT use coax. Most telephone cables of recent vintage should have at least two pairs in there and one is usually
unused unless you've got a second phone line. So what I would do is check the existing wiring and use the unused pairs and then tap
that off with a junction box somewhere. Otherwise either tie a telco cable to the coax and pull it through the wall or just drill a
hole and run a cable.  That's my $0.02. ;-)  leon  * Mark Henigan wrote, On 2/10/2008 10:29 PM: >> Mark Henigan wrote: >> >>> A
very off-topic question aimed at anyone on the >>> list with telco experience. >>> >>> I have a second phone line to install that
only >>> needs to run to one room. There is already an >>> unused coaxial cable from a previous installation >>> by a cable TV
company connecting the area of the >>> junction box to that room. The incoming phone >>> line is only a two-wire connection. Would
the >>> impedance/capacitance/inductive load of the coax >>> be compatible with a telephone connection? I'm >>> trying to save the
trouble of installing >>> additional premises wiring in a house that we >>> rent. Making adapters to allow modular >>> connectors
to interface with the coax is no >>> problem for me so long as the characteristics >>> of the line would allow it. >>> >>> TIA, >>>

- Mark >>> >>> Mark Henigan >> > Ed Durrant replied: >> Phone lines are usaually 600 Ohm impedance, co-ax on the other hand >>

is 50 or 75 Ohm. >> >> I'd try it since it's there - the worst that I would expect is that >> the volume on one or both phone units
will be lowered and if that's >> the case you can easily disconnect the cable. Chances are it'll work >> fine. > > Hello Ed: > > I
think I need to describe the situation a little > more clearly, given your reply and several others. > > I am talking about a
second telephone line, not > splitting a single phone line.  The new line is > for my business number.  It runs to my home >
because I am only in the office with a door that > bears my name one day a week.  So, I chose to have > the address listed as the
office location but the > installed line at my home where I could have more > efficient access to it.  My wife is my assistant >
and will be able to use the line for reception of > messages and to schedule appointments. > > The telephone company (AT? >
although this causes ground loops in many > configurations requiring isolation transformers). > I realize the foil shielding of
much HF coax is > not a great conductor.  However, it should be > adequate from what others (Ed and Jeffrey) have > said.  If, as
noted by Jeffrey the cable or > connectors are of poor quality or condition, I > can always install a new connector (I have a >
compression type installation tool.) or remove > the cable and install telephone cable in its > place.  I'd rather avoid the latter
since the > cable enters the house of the second floor. > > So, thank you all for your suggestions and > thoughts on this rather
confounded question! > I'll try the installation using the coax and > revert to replacing (or adding a run of phone > cable in
parallel with) the coax if it does > not work. > > Again many thanks!  There is so much knowledge > available on this list! > > -
Mark > > Mark Henigan > -- > > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= > This message is sent to you
because you are subscribed to >  the mailing list . > To unsubscribe, E-mail to:  > To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to >  > To
switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to >  > Send administrative queries to >  > To subscribe (new addresses), E-mail to: >  and reply
to the confirmation > email. > Web archives are publicly available at: http://lists.2rosenthals.com > > This list is hosted by
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC > P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non- > electronic communications related to content >
contained in these messages should be directed > to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003) > >
*Mobile:* 610-223-8642 *Fax:* 484-335-9921 *Email:* wa4zlw@arrl.net  *http://www.linkedin.com/in/leonzetekoff* *BackWoods
Wireless*  505 B Main Street  Blandon, PA 19510 "Bringing Broadband Technology to Rural Areas"  See who we know in common   Want a
signature like this?    The following text was extracted from HTML:  Mark...I would NOT use coax. Most telephone cables of recent
[...]
Rural Areas"   See who we know in common Want a signature like this?  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to the