From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: eCS or OS/2 on T60
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:57:57 -0700 (PDT)

I really dislike using Windoze at all, but my DVD Ripper can not handle all movies under OS/2 (even so it does a good job with most of them).
For all those with special encryption, I need to go to Windoze.
Also, the "Windoze Only" DHCP servers require me to boot to that dreaded setup to spoof the required network configuration.
Finally, certain Drivers just won't work w/o a Windoze setup.

I was e.g. finally able to secure a pocket color scanner which scans directly onto memory card, so I can read the Images in OS/2 w/o the need to go to Windoze.

But I can access almost none of the T60's security features in OS/2.
And since I do want to use things like that security chip to enhance my peace of mind, I will need to keep that Windoze partition alive for the time being.

Carl Gehr <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:01:50 +0200 (CEST), Jan van Wijk wrote:

>Hi Carl,
>
>On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:28:33 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:
>
>>>I have found that for a Windows-XP that is actually USED over a longer period,
>>>something like 6GB is about the minimum, unless you do a lot of tweaking and
>>>removing unneeded stuff, or move lots of data to other partitions ...
>>>
>>>Regards, JvW
>>
>>In order to have anything resembling a usable Windoze2K, I had to go to
>>12GB.
>
>Yes, but that depends on what kind of applications you have and use.
>
>On a dedicated machine that I use for web-browsing and photoshop only,
>I have been running Windows-XP in 6GB for a few years now ...
>
>On my T42, that has the same plus a few other applications, and is
>used more, I also have something like 12GB (which is 75 full :-)
>
>Regards, JvW

You're probably right that 12GB is a little large.

I really don't use Win2K much, primarily for updating my Palm-based
Treo. I used to use it for Delorme Mapping software, but a combination
of the on-line maps that have gotten so much better and a navigation
system in my car, I've not done that much.

Possibly one thing that makes a difference is that I restrict Windoze
to ONLY its own C-Drive. So, that one partition has to include all
data that Windoze will access. I do no allow access to any of my other
eCS drives. If I have to move data between systems, I use a USB flash
drive and wipe it clean after each use. [Paranoid? Probably. But, I
refuse to take any chances.]

Carl

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)