os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1249

Da: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: eCS or OS/2 on T60
Data: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I finally went with 8GB and hope to get the rest up & running within the day.
I also got WinXP in a VPC session, but again, that does nothing for any HW related stuff (if only Connectix would have been kept alive long enough to add USB suport to VPC/2!).
I recon I can push it down to 6GB and then have 2GB left for DVD ripping.
THE DAMN ATI VIDEO PANEL ALONE USES UP 256MB!!!!

Now compare that one to a SNAP/2 install.
If only my OS/2 SNAP license would also be valid for a Windoze version of that marvelous driver, then ATI would be history today!

What kind of source code hog uses up 256MB for a freaking video driver control panel?!?!

I kicked of Symantec (almost 60MB back) as that one is slow and totally unreliable.
Luckily enough I got NAV (also for Windoze).

But I can't find a way to uninstall Symantec Live Update (eeergh).

Now is the Wireless Chipset in the T60p supported by GenMAC???

Al Heath <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>>>I have found that for a Windows-XP that is actually USED over a longer period,
>>>something like 6GB is about the minimum, unless you do a lot of tweaking and
>>>removing unneeded stuff, or move lots of data to other partitions ...
>>>
>>>Regards, JvW
>>
>>In order to have anything resembling a usable Windoze2K, I had to go to
>>12GB.

>Yes, but that depends on what kind of applications you have and use.

>On a dedicated machine that I use for web-browsing and photoshop only,
>I have been running Windows-XP in 6GB for a few years now ...

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I run XP in a VPC session with not too much going on over there, and can compress the image down to about 6 gig, but it bounces back up to about 9 gig after a while of use (getting XP patches, swap space, etc...), so compress it again every few weeks.  I tell people I have the biggest foot print "dialer" on the planet... as I need XP for my work related VPN and that is basically all it does is handle the socks proxy stuff for the tunnel.  It does have Lotus Notes installed over there as well as some other useless "work required" apps that do take up probably a gig of that 6 gig space.  IMHO, 4 gig is pretty small.  I'd suggest 8 as a more realistic minimum so you'd have some room for some things like Java, Firefox, Antivirus software, spam ware tools, etc...  Even then, you might have to watch the space utilization pretty carefully.

FWIW, Al H