From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: OT Bluetooth
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

I bought a Bluetooth dongle that attaches to the RS232 port and simply passes the signals back & forth between the two devices.
Its supposed to be 100% transparent to the application, but I didn't had time to test it yet.

Carl Gehr <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:55:02 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

>On 09/07/06 04:42 pm, Carl Gehr thus wrote :
>> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:33:20 +0100 (BST), Dave Saville wrote:
>>

>>> I know there are no Bluetooth drivers for OS/2, but has anyone had any luck
>>> with either a USB dongle or a PCMCIA card?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Dave Saville
>>>

>> Interesting you should comment... Here's a post that I made to the
>> eCS Hardware NewsGroup a few days ago. No response yet, but maybe
>> someone here can explain what, IN eCS, turned my Bluetooth device light
>> on, at least implying that it was ready to transfer data when there is
>> no driver for the device...????
>>

>>> Copy of post to eCS Hardware NG
>>> This has been a very strange sequence of events:
>>> * This system is over 4 years old. I've never used nor seen the
>>> Bluetooth light on.
>>> * Just by chance, I happened to notice the Bluetooth light 'on'
>>> indicating power has been applied to the adapter. The only system
>>> change was the application of the LVM, Dani and mouse driver updates
>>> a week or so ago. Nothing that should have connected to the
>>> Bluetooth adapter.
>>> * I could find no way to manually turn the adapter off. Not even by
>>> using the BIOS update at boot time. Rebooting did nothing to help.
>>> * Then, my system hung up with what appeared to be a HD loop. I had
>>> to power the system off to get it freed up.
>>> * When the system came back, after doing all the normal CHKDSK scans
>>> on the HD, the Bluetooth was now off. A couple of reboots and it
>>> is still off.
>>>
>>> Two questions, please:
>>> 1) What might have caused the Bluetooth to activate/power on?
>>> 2) Is there some way to force the Bluetooth off?
>>>

>Carl, please refresh my memory: what notebook do you have?

ThinkPad: A30p

Just one additional piece of [maybe trivia] about this:

When I was originally investigating purchase of this system, there was
a comment that, because the Ethernet, 802.11b and Bluetooth [BT] share
some hardware resources, using multiple 'adapters' at the same time
might cause degraded performance. I've never intentionally tried
multiples, other than I'd like to have some automatic way to switch
between wired and wireless. It just occurred to me that possibly one
reason the system seemed to hang, might have been due to some conflict
between the WiFi and the BT that was 'accidently' (?) activated. Pure
speculation, but that's what we do when we haven't a clue... Right?

Carl

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)