From: "Sam Lewis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Satellite providers (Was Hotspots: Play-for-Fee vs Play-for-Free)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:53:25 -0500

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

We're talking about commercial grade systems, Sam. The newer residential systems from DirecPC (7000-series hardware and above) are completely self-contained, and do not use any Windows software to re-wrap packets in BST (which is what the proxy service does for Starband and the older DirecPC setups).

All of the commercial grade systems are self-contained, as well.

Anyway, if you're stuck with Starband, then you might just want to set up a dedicated Windows proxy server on the edge (with nothing of any value on it, and something easily recreated in case it blows up).

Thats what I have now.  An old PentII 400 with Win2K.  I would really like to recycle that machine for other uses though and go go back to using my OS/2 server as my gateway.
Sam

On 09/07/06 12:16 pm, Sam Lewis thus wrote :

I hadn't been reading this thread til now.  Are these satellite services, your talking about, commercial or residential?

I am currently using Starband and have been fairly happy with them but they require the modem to be connected to a Windoze box so I need to have a standalone Win2K box, Windoze Firewall and antivirus and so on and so forth.  I would like to go back to my OS/2 Server and Injoy firewall.   Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sam

Dunhill Satellite Systems wrote:

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

[snip] [snip]

Julian, we started a discussion some time ago about broadband options
up there. I don't recall where we left off, but I would recommend
looking into a good commercial-grade satellite service, such as
http://www.skycasters.com.

Look than also at UnaSat, better priced, and great quality
We use this to feed our hotspot system in the Dominican Republic (26
spots in the south)
and is much cheaper than iDirect, while the quality is not noticeable less.
Surfbeam modems with DOCSIS 1.01

main supplier for the USA is www.motosat.com , for information you can
look at our website as well

Arjan