From: "Sam Lewis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Satellite providers (Was Hotspots: Play-for-Feevs Play-for-Free)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:02:36 -0500

Dunhill Satellite Systems wrote:

Sam Lewis wrote:

Only one of the hosts he listed actually resolved to an IP address. But it's ping time is 40 to 60ms.  The shortest ping time I have ever
gotten on Starband is 670ms.  So that host must not be on a
geosynchronous satellite link.

iDirect and Nera (dvb-rcs/linux) have the shortest overall lagtime
between 480 and 520 msec
Unsasat (docsis/vxworks) is between 500 and 550
Direcway (dvb-rcs/vxworks) between 700 and 2000 (or worse)

Do any residential services use these satellites/providers for their service?

we have also 2 SIP voip lines running and the delays are not really
noticeable with iDirect, Nera and UnaSat
don't try such a service with DW or hughesnet, they have a widespread
name, but the qos is terrible, specially in the upload part

I'm pretty sure Starband monitors their network pretty closely and wouldn't allow that.  I can't even do a VPN to work.  Yet another reason I'm thinking making a change.
Thanks,
Sam

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/