From: "Julian Thomas" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Hotspots: Play-for-Fee vs Play-for-Free
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:58:52 -0400

   at 07:27 PM, "Neil Waldhauer" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
typed:

>But out in the area between the finger lakes -- uh... Do you even have TV
>signal? No, but seriously, I doubt you have that much pay-WiFi, either.
>Personally, I'd bring a WiFi laptop to a cafe in town to do serious
>downloads.

Well, "town" being Ithaca, we're only there once/week.

We have TV signal.  Our area is so seriously fragmented that you wouldn't
believe it.  We are at the edge of an area code, at the edge of the
diocesces of two denominations; at the edge of the local news coverage of
the newspaper. The people on the east side of where we are get their TV
from Syracuse; those on the west side from Rochester.

>My sister, who is a few miles outside of Santa Cruz, in an area too rural
>to have electricity, uses a microwave network to get her broadband. (She
>uses solar cells and a mast to make her own electricity.)

Until the local phone company (an independent, who is deploying fiber and
SLC boxes far more aggressively than Verizon) came through, we had NO
broadband options, since TWC stops 2 miles north of us and a mile or so
south of us.  Now we have 3MB/sec DSL download.

Getting back to wireless - I do have a 11.b WAP that I turn on only when I
want to use my laptop somewhere else in the house other than next to this
computer, where there is a nice wired connection available.  When I do
turn it on, I have it set to only accept known MAC addresses.  I've never
found another wireless signal anywhere near here (using netstumbler); my
nearest neighbor isn't computer literate.

--
 Julian Thomas:   jt@jt-mj.net    http://jt-mj.net
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!