os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1297

Da: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: OT Bluetooth
Data: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 01:57:37 -0700 (PDT)

While I honestly don't know how useful that Bluetooth RS232 "add-on" is gonna be, as far as BT itself is concerned, I deem it a pretty dumb standard, if not outright braindead.
BT is really just a wireless cable "standard".
It does not allow for package routing, does not allow for any group or domain management and has very crude "security'" features.
Indeed Swedish students have already proven that you can hack Bluetooth phones even from up to many hundreds of meters away.
Downloading your entire PIM data, phone- + address book and appointment calendar.

And it also uses up lots of juice. Much more so than WiFi does.
At least on my PDA and my GPS device.
Last not least, BT has a very limited range if you want a reliable connection.
My BT headset already drops out of range if I just put the phone on the other end of the room - forget about BT printers with my Thinkpad or syncing my PDA via BT from a distance.

I really don't care much about a BT stack for OS/2, as long as I can get most devices hooked up via WiFi.

A working WiFi stack is much more important to me here.
Doug LaRue <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
** Reply to message from "Rick R." on Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

> I bought a Bluetooth dongle that attaches to the RS232 port and simply passes the signals back & forth between the two devices.
> Its supposed to be 100% transparent to the application, but I didn't had time to test it yet.

That is what is known as a wireless-cable or Bluetooth Cable Replacement setup. There's really nothing interesting
for you to do with regards to other Bluetooth devices since the two dongles will only connect to each other and
just pass RS232 signals from one device over to the other. Neat setup but not really providing "Bluetooth" stack
features to the operating system/user and really just uses Bluetooth behind the scenes to connect the modules
and move the data over them.

Bluetooth was designed to provide a number of "profiles" and be expandable with new profiles if someone needed
something outside the current spec. Some profiles are Serial, Headset, Dial Up Network, FTP and many more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_profiles
It's really a nicely design wireless system and it's not just for short range use and can operate from 10m - 100m.

Doug

> Carl Gehr wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:55:02 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

> >> Interesting you should comment... Here's a post that I made to the
> >> eCS Hardware NewsGroup a few days ago. No response yet, but maybe
> >> someone here can explain what, IN eCS, turned my Bluetooth device light
> >> on, at least implying that it was ready to transfer data when there is
> >> no driver for the device...????

> >Carl, please refresh my memory: what notebook do you have?
>
> ThinkPad: A30p
>
> Just one additional piece of [maybe trivia] about this:
>
> When I was originally investigating purchase of this system, there was
> a comment that, because the Ethernet, 802.11b and Bluetooth [BT] share
> some hardware resources, using multiple 'adapters' at the same time
> might cause degraded performance. I've never intentionally tried
> multiples, other than I'd like to have some automatic way to switch
> between wired and wireless. It just occurred to me that possibly one
> reason the system seemed to hang, might have been due to some conflict
> between the WiFi and the BT that was 'accidently' (?) activated. Pure
> speculation, but that's what we do when we haven't a clue... Right?
>
> Carl

> This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
> P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
> electronic communications related to content
> contained in these messages should be directed
> to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>

> ---------------------------------
> Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business.

Doug LaRue

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he, who by peddling second-rate technology, led them
into it in the first place."
- Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
- full text: http://www.catscratch.net/douglasadams_on_win95.html
- more quotes: http://www.phnet.fi/public/mamaa1/adams.htm

"Excuse me: Can you tell me the IP address of this cable?"
- Actual question from a MCSE!