From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Bluetooth security
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:51:16 -0400
To: OS/2 Wireless Users <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

To branch from another thread, and to follow my statement concerning the relative privacy or Bluetooth technology:

   Configured correctly, BT is quite "private" (though not encrypted).
   Devices must be "paired" to each other, and it is up to the user to
   tell a device to make its presence known to other devices.

There are numerous hits on the net concering the insecurity of BT, many of which date back to 2003 and earlier. As I mentioned in my previous post, there have indeed been advances in BT technology, and it is, after all, for PANs, not LANs.

For the latest information concerning BT security (all three available modes), one should visit http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Security/ . To quote some of the content on that page:

   Lately, confusion and misinformation surrounding security and
   /Bluetooth/ wireless technology has increased. The current security
   issues typically involve mobile phones. How these issues apply to
   other classes of devices is important and is often not
   addressed. The encryption algorithm in the /Bluetooth/
   specifications is secure. This includes devices such as mice and
   keyboards connecting to a PC, a mobile phone synchronizing with a
   PC, and a PDA using a mobile phone as a modem to name just a few of
   the many use cases.

   Cases where data has been compromised on mobile phones are the
   result of implementation issues on that platform. [...]

So, in short, considering the entire paradigm of wireless connectivity, BT is probably about as tight as anything else we have today (and I mean "probably" in a very loose sense of the word).

Cheers, everyone, and don't sweat the small stuff. Get a good phone, and your data will most likely be safe. Don't sync your devices in public places (sounds pretty disgusting, anyway, huh?), and you should be just fine.

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com