From: "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] New mailing list for ThinkPad T60 & T61 eCS users
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:47:03 +1000

Neil Waldhauer wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:22:44 -0400, "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

If you have a T30 and an X31, then the T60/T61 list isn't the one for you, as neither are dual core machines, and neither are ACPI-based (AFAIK). Like my T43, both of those systems are already well-supported, so there would be little point in sharing experiences with ACPI on unrelated models.

I'd be interested in buying a T61 or newer if the support issues are worked
out. Right now, I have enough issues with other computers that I don't need any
new projects. But when everything is worked out, and I expect it to be, soon,
I'm in. What I'd really like is a summary of how to set one up -- after
everything is working.

Neil

I personally would not recommend buying a T61 - I have one from work and, even running Windoze XP, it is a problem. I get hangs, slow access to HD and several other apparent problems (bad RJ45 socket etc.). When compared to my previous works T42, it's not the same build quality level. Sure it's got a widescreen, but it's actually smaller that the "standard shaped" screen on the T42 as it's simply still as wide but not as tall. This makes getting the correct balance of icon and text size versus maxuimum screen content difficult. Who makes a business laptop widescreen anyway ? Widescreen is for playing DVD movies - I know of know of no other reason to have widescreen and which employer supplies their employees with a laptop so they can play DVD movies all day rather than work ?

So for me it's about a 2 out of 10 for the T61 as opposed to 7 out of 10 for the T42 and 8 out of 10 for the earlier R31, 9 out of ten for the T30 and T20 series !

Just my personal ratings from using these systems.

Cheers/2

Ed.