From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Adding internal Wi-Fi to non-Wi-Fi-ready notebooks
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:58:04 -0700 (PDT)

>vs carrying around yet another power hungry chunk of hardware is concerned,

That ASUS WL-330g is smaller than a box of cigarretes, heck smaller than two packs of chewing gum, and can run of the power from the USB port (just use a Sony PSP power cable - ZipLinq version to save even more space).

That eliminates any "rabbit ears" question, as you can position the unit any way you like, allows for much higher security (supports latest encryption scheme) and is much better in WiFi support generally.
The ASUS WL-330g can also be used as an access point, can scan for Windows compatible networks and can act as a DHCP server.

What more do you want?!

Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On 09/27/06 09:53 am, Stanley Sidlov thus wrote :
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:49:42 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
>

>> I stumbled on an interesting link this evening. Perhaps it may be of
>> some use to some folks here:
>>
>> http://www.jordanautomations.com/tpa31-internal-wifi-upgrade.html
>>

> what about just using these?
>

> The second one can be mounted INSIDE the PCI card area with included sticky tape....they show two mounted inside at 90 degree angles.....
>
> I wonder if this would work in my non-wifi T23......

Either should work. There is a point about only needing one antenna ,
though without diversity, you do become susceptible to multipath
interference, as we discussed previously. Mounting th antenna in the
bay isn't as good as mounting it in the lid, as the lid provides a much
better profile for waves which are directed horizontally (one of the
reasons PCMCIA cards with integral antennas are less capable than those
with rabbit ears).

As to the argument between adding internal Wi-Fi vs carrying around yet
another power hungry chunk of hardware is concerned, I'll leave the
answer to personal taste. Frnakly, I carry enough cr-p around with me
without having to drag something else along to a hotspot. In fact, I got
so tired of wheeling my notebook case into Panera that I got a
form-fitting, zippered case for my T43, so now all I need to tote around
is one thing which fits under my arm.

Interesting finds on eBay, Stan. Thanks for sharing them. If you do
decide to try one, please post your results.

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
New York / Northern Virginia www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users Int'l www.novell.com/openenterpriseserver
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot? www.hautspot.com

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)