Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Lenovo battery recall affects several models
Datum: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:28:58 -0600
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Fri,
29 Sep 2006 00:34:33 -0700 (PDT)

> I think that this cross breeding of components is alarming.
>   Up until now I would have never dreamed that Thinkpads could be affected by a Sony screw up.
>   Thankz indeed for this info (and the URL), but I think it is very(!)
> worrysome that already millions of DELL, Mac and now Thinkpad units had their
> batteries recalled because SONY screwed up.
>   Is anybody still really producing their own computers or are we already
> living in the brave new world where even brand name manufacturers only pillage
> the OEM market and then slap their respective label on the assembled box?!!

Oh, come on!  Why should any manufacturer want to produce every nut, bolt, belt
and battery in any product?  Ford and GM buy tires from suppliers who
specialize in tires, neither makes their own batteries. Rubber plants are
expensive and none will survive supplying a single auto maker.  Same for
batteries.

 BTW, those "batteries" under recall are actually assemblies of multiple cells.
In the case of IBM/Lenovo, the actual battery is assembled using cells obtained
from Sony (or some other manufacturer), most computer makers will also
outsource the plastic moldings.  The assembly is subcontracted to yet another
contractor, all under specifications provided by the computer maker.  The idea
that IBM or any other large manufacturer does all the specialty production in
house brings to mind the old saw: Jack of all trades, master of none.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>