From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Tales of my two-day Wi-Fi workshop in Milpitas, CA
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:03:48 -0700 (PDT)

Put in somewhere in the US midwest, and then its the same distance for everyone.
Denver, Phoenix, ABQ, or Dallas.

And if you think Europeans have a hard time getting into the US these days, then try Europeans (or any foreigner) criss crossing from the US to Canada and back!

Do you know they can deny you re-entry into the US w/o any reason, visa or no visa?
This has already happened to two IT worker from India here.
One day while the two where travelling, his friend was told that he couldn't come accross the border no more. Just like that.

Imagine you get stuck over there in CA, and your only valid visa is for the US.
But the US won't allow you back in no more and you can't even find out why.
Those US border guards make these decision arbitrary and w/o recourse.

If you tell them you're attending Warpstock, they might think you're planning a Hippie rebellion or go to Canada to smoke pot. No kidding here...

madodel <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On 09/30/06 Rick R. wrote:
> And if John Dvorak of PCMag (who had already declared OS/2 dead 5
> minutes after Lou Gerster wrote that infamous memo) has any
> perception problems in Ontario/Canada, then tell him to meet me in
> Ontario, CA or any other part of southern California, and I'll show
> him how I administer a multi-million $ project on my OS/2 box.
>
> I just calculated some figures in my head and it turned out that the
> expense tab alone for me would be ~$2000.-- to take of from here and
> go "up there".
> And that does not include loss in pay or the medical costs for the
> heart attack the project manager is going to have if his main tech
> man decides to go AWOL on him.
>
> Since I am in a hotel here, I wouldn't even know what to do with all
> my stuff.
> So I end up driving up there, and even if I'd buy a plane ticket I
> still end up paying double for hotel room and probably rental car.
>
> I'd rather spend that $$$ on new equipment.
>
> Not to mention the pesky detail that many of my foreign co-workers
> (yes, I did encounter an OS/2 fan from India on one of my last
> projects) would have a hard time getting a visa for Canada nowadays.
>
> You choose that far away place, so now don't bitch if attendance
> turns out to be low.
> I hope it won't, but if it does then its certainly not our fault!

Actually Stan nor I had any say in this year's location. But I at least
thought it was actually a good idea to have it in Canada for several
reasons (cost is less there, Europeans are more likely to attend a non-US
event(security nonsense and politics), and we have never had an event in
that area). Unfortunately travel has been made extremely expensive and
pretty inconvenient as well so all those reasons are less relevant today
they they were a year ago. So perhaps the days for any conventions that
can't draw almost entirely local attendance are numbered.

But I think you miss the point entirely. If you can't make it so be it.
Stan's issue is really with people who want the entire event provided to
them without attending. There is no financial support for such an
endeavor. Warpstock has always provided the event materials online after
the event was over. But even so Warpstock doesn't need charity, it needs
people to attend. That is why it is held in different areas of North
America every year to give people a chance to attend. The easiest way to
make sure that Warpstock is located convenient to you is to put in a bid
for 2007. Without any bids the whole issue is moot.

Mark

--

From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

http://www.warpstock.org

http://www.os2voice.org

Investigation, 1938

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)