From: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Video Conferencing for WarpStock
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:34:16 -0700 (PDT)

>Also, much of what occurs at Warpstock is not in the sessions but after
>hours gathering and talking.

I could not disagree more strongly.
At WarpStock Europe I drove over 500 miles to Dresden, only to end up being told that all the "after hours" events had already been filled up solid.
And that despite me arriving early in Dresden.
So I (and quite a few others) ended up being "allowed" to watch the others through the glass doors. How humiliating
Thanks, but no thanks!

So I'd be more than happy with a Video Conference and be willing to pay for that, too.

Andy Willis <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
madodel wrote:
> On 09/30/06 Rick R. wrote:
>> Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier (or why nobody @ Warpstock
>> did!).
>> But why don't you set up a VideoConference for WarpStock over the WWW?
>>
>> There are Java based solutions that work under OS/2.
>> Heck, you can even use a Webcam for live video streaming under OS/2
>> (IP Cam based).
>> I use all those myself.
>>
>> But for those of basic means amongst us -
>> You could set up a web portal so that people still pay an "entry fee"
>> to get in.
>> That way all they needed to attend would be a web browser and the MPEG
>> or FLASH plug-in. I think even WarpVision might work here.
>>
>> They could submit their questions in turn either via e-mail or voice
>> stream.
>> No camera needed on the other side.
>>
>> Just like a cyber chat session. If you project the questions on a
>> white board, then Mr. Dvorac could see for himself how huge the OS/2
>> audience really is.
>>
>> Now I could manage that, monitor my system gauges in one Desktop and
>> follow WarpStock on the other.
>>
>> That way everybody wins!
>
> Actually we have tried using volunteers to videotape the sessions and
> the result was worthless. I still have the videotapes in my office from
> the 2000 event in Philly. We had the plenary sessions go out over
> realplayer in 1999 in Atlanta and almost no one could get Realplayer to
> work and the feed was slow and unreliable and you couldn't hear much of
> anything. And that was with professional equipment of the time. To do
> it right would require expensive equipment and people who know what they
> are doing to run it. There is no benefit to Warpstock for this unless
> someone pays for the equipment and provides the people to run it.
> Otherwise it is just a negative encouraging people to not attend. And
> even if we could do all that and do it well what is the benefit to the
> event?
>
> Mark
I think the idea of adding videoconferencing is worth looking into.
However, as Mark said it isn't as easy as just saying it is going to
be done. It requires people to set it up and to manage it. Noone
will want to pay for joining a video conference where there is no
video stream or no audio. Also, much of what occurs at Warpstock is
not in the sessions but after hours gathering and talking. People
collaborating on different ideas and swapping thoughts on how to solve
a problem that someone else has already figured out how to get past.
It is something that may be doable but no one has volunteered to do it
so far.
Andy

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)