From: "Andy Willis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Video Conferencing for WarpStock
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:49:35 -0600

Dave Saville wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:58:49 -0400, madodel wrote:

 Actually we have tried using volunteers to videotape the sessions and the result was worthless. I still have the videotapes in my office from the 2000 event in Philly.  We had the plenary sessions go out over realplayer in 1999 in Atlanta and almost no one could get Realplayer to work and the feed was slow and unreliable and you couldn't hear much of anything.  And that was with professional equipment of the time.   To do it right would require expensive equipment and people who know what they are doing to run it.  There  is no benefit to Warpstock for this unless someone pays for the equipment and provides the people to run it.  Otherwise it is just a negative encouraging people to not attend.  And even if we could do all that and do it well what is the benefit to the event?

Well the developers workshop in Biel managed it. Streamed over the web and an
IRC session watched by a couple of people to field questions. Seemed to work to
me, but then I was there :-) Did not seem to be that mutch in the way of kit -
I only noticed a webcam.

I watched some of that myself over the webcam (time difference though limited it).  I have been thinking about how something similar might be accomplished by Warpstock and it may come to fruition but not this year unless someone comes forward that says they can set it up and take care of it.  I am not sure if it would be all sessions or how that would work even if we did have the resources to do it this year.
I think the videoconferencing idea is definitely worth further Warpstock consideration, hopefully technical advances will help us overcome issues from the past attempts but the biggest resource issue involved with this is that of personnel.
Andy