From: "Stanley Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: OT: Regarding Warpstock
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 12:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: "os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

I've let Mark Dodel say, most of what I would have said in response to the postings.

First, I'm of two minds about this. I'm sorry to those who think that this is not relevent
to Wireless Discussion and ask you to skip this. But on the other hand, it's sort of
refreshing to read some passionate discussion about Warpstock.

Like Mark, I have chaired a few Warpstocks, served as the Treasurer for what seems
forever. I have attended every event up to now. I have been involved in Warpstock's that
have cost $5,000 and one that cost around $40,000 and all prices in between.

Warpstock Europe has nothing to do with Warpstock NA, except the OS and name. We also have
nothing to do with Warpstock Cechz either. That's put on as near as I can tell, by single
individual. What these events all do in common is put OS/2-eCS people in the same room.
Put faces to names. At the last two Warpstock's, Chuck and others fixed my laptop for eCS
1.2 and wireless, doing and explaining how these things work in reality. A LIVE disk crash
was actually fixed by Jan and his DFSEE product. We all got to see Finnegan's watercooled
very hot looking AMD FX-55 server running eCS at an amazing speeds and everyone sighed
when Jeff Race won the desktop computer Finnegan gave away. I've spent many breakfasts,
lunches and dinners, after hours cocktails with lots of the people who post here and
elsewhere. We've talked OS/2 and other subjects into the wee hours, for rounds at the bar.

In 1999, I sat next to the late John R., as the sessions were broadcast by RealPlayer -
you might even hear us talking to each other if you have the Warpstock '99 CD during
breaks. The issues for Warpstock are always, 'what OS/2 based product can we use to
broadcast?' and 'what OS/2 based viewer can be used by OS/2 users?' There are no native
products for either of these questions. We BEGGED (more than once) the IBM people we knew
for the BAMBA recorder and viewer, to no avail.  Andy Willis of the current Warpstock
board, brought up that with a lot of tweaking there are some viewers that are java based.
The question then becomes, how do we handle tweaking people's computers? Those of use who
inhabit mail lists know of the complaints and the lengthy time it takes to get someone's
problems fixed -if at all. Doing a live video broadcast, right, will take someone's
attention for a lot of time. Not to mention figuring out a way to collect some fees to
make the effort of benefit. It's very difficult to do since most of the presentations are
done in a darkened room, and enough lighting for the cameras to work ruins the
presentation screens, and that different sessions are run at the same time. Maybe the
course of Warpstock should change, and be video only. Warpstock can bring in speakers all
year into a well lit room, video tape them, and sell the stream to a viewer on a session
by session basis with the speaker sharing in the profits. I think it's worth hearing Lewis
talk about wireless for an hour for about $19.99. I had standing room only for two years
on my 'networking for non-geeks' presentation, it must be worth $10 a view....the C++
classes for $99.....new streams could be added all the time, at any time around the
year... and maybe a handful of selected people could get together and sit around and talk
about OS/2 for a hour or two--its a thought. No one need see anyone in person, and the
only contracts would be with the individual speakers, the hosting service and bank
clearing house. But Warpstock wouldn't have any life left to it and the heart of it would
be lost.

Contributions at varying levels are always appreciated by Warpstock. There is no tax
benefit as warpstock is not a charity. VOICE, Mensys, Serenity Systems and individuals
have all donated money to Warpstock to offset costs every year. Several individuals have
contributed hundreds of dollars each year to help with the expenses. Warpstock appreciates
these donations, as they make up for the lagging attendance, and ever-shrinking vendors
who used to pay for most of Warpstock keeping the registration fee low and allowing
Warpstock to have a monetary cushion for the next year.

Warpstock is more than the sessions. I am sure this year, that former IBMer Oliver Mark's
non-formal discussions will be more interesting than ever, and that he won't allow them to
be taped or broadcast. And that his 'formal' talk won't have a set of presentation slides
to pass on. Those who are there will benefit, those who are not, won't.