From: "Kris Steenhaut" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Intel 2200bg and Windoze (was: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Status on WPA)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:43:32 +0200

Lewis G Rosenthal ha scritto:
Anyway, it seems the 2200bg included in some Thinkpads is different from the one Mark, Ed and I bought separately and had installed afterwards in our TP.

I doubt it, though I have no direct knowledge one way or the other.
Sure it is. Ed, always present here, has sorted it out and we have to admit he is a reliable guy.
So mayby it's a driver problem after all. But as IBM has ditched OS/2 as well as it's Thinkpad, how on earth are we going to sort that out?

Considering IBM's involvement with Lenovo (IBM owns 18.9% of Lenovo),  the statement that IBM has ditched its ThinkPad is a tad premature.
It's not. Not at all IBM doesn't own a dime anymore, not a singly penny of the TP, of it's former PC department infatti. Easy to check it out on the web.
All the new ThinkPads I've seen (and I've moved about a half dozen this past week) still say IBM on them,
That's part of the deal. Lenovo is entitled to put the IBM logo for 5 years at all of his PC products. Same history as with the Hitachi hardisk, the Lexmark printers, the Unicom keyboards etc...etc... incidentally, the real former IBM keyboard can thus be bought here ...

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

... but with no IBM logo because the 5 years period is over already a long time ago.

As always, manufacturers make take shameless the advantage of peoples superficiality.
and these were models which came out after the handoff to Lenovo.

IBM hasn't removed support information for older ThinkPads, either, and AFAIK, neither IBM nor Lenovo purposely breaks the BIOS so as to make it unusable with other OSes. The fact that the T43 BIOS update seems to disrupt GenMAC's ability to detect the PCI ID string is more than likely something within GenMAC, and not a deliberate attempt on the part of IBM or Lenovo to make the T43 "Windows-only."

Sorry, but we, that is Marc, Ed and me aren't talking about a T43 but about a separately purchased 2200b/g which fails to work properly, as has been reported, on a TP41, a TP42p and a TP30

--
Groeten uit Gent,

  Kris