Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "madodel" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: OT: Need guidance on 1.2 install
Datum: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:17:21 -0400
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 10/10/06 Jeffrey Race wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:17:12 -0500, Al Heath wrote:

> > Anyway I tried restoring XP
> >several times and various other shrinking attempts but ended up using
> >OS/2's LVM to complete wipe the disk and repartition as I wanted as XP also
> >wouldn't shrink down as far as I wanted due to some "non relocateable
> >files" (and also it wouldn't boot away after shrinking to various attempted
> >sizes ... anyway, I did do various partition restores in between and
> >booting reverified until after trying again and again I finally gave up and
> >wiped it from the machine.)  Do I understand that repartitioning the T43 after XP has gone NTFS at
virgin boot means I destroy the XP source files?     (Supposed to be
hidden somewhere, I think)

I don't think I want to do that.

You won't destroy that hidden FAT32 partition but it is advisable that if you think you will ever need the XP factory restore discs you should create them before you do anything.  A couple years ago IBM gave me a hard time about sending me the factory restore discs, but they finally did so after some convincing.  Create the factory restore discs, and not the backup discs.  See warning below.

Unless you really need the XP partition it is best for sizing to recreate it from the factory restore discs and before windoze converts itself to NTFS, use DFSee to resize the beast when it is formatted as FAT32, to something reasonable (or at least what microshaft considers reasonable but anyone else bloated).  Warning though: using the builtin backup process will most likely repartition your drive into one big one and remove the emergency partition, so if at all possible run the install from within the hidden restore partition or off of the newly created factory restore discs which will recreate everything to the factory install setup.

Without reinstalling windoze, about the best you may be able to do shrinking XP is maybe in half because of the way NTFS parses data on the partition and refuses to move it.  Here I was only able to shrink a 56GB partition down to about 28GB until I found out about the FAT32 trick.  I was able to shrink XP on my T42p down to about 6GB, but it kept eating itself after running a short time, so I finally ended up at 16GB and it hasn't complained since, though I rarely run it.   Its a waste of drive space.

Mark

--

 From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

 Warpstock 2006 - Windsor, Ontario, Canada, October 12-15th, http://www.warpstock.org

For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

  "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938