Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Carl Gehr" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Another weird motel situation
Datum: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:22:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:10:11 -0700, Bob wrote:

>** Reply to message from "Carl Gehr os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com" on Tue,
>17 Oct 2006 13:29:45 -0400 (EDT)
>
>> I've tried to send, but never tried a different port.  Knowing zero
>> about ports, is 587 supposed to be a standard alternative?  Or, does
>> each ISP offer their own to try to make it more difficult to use by
>> 'unwanted' users?
>
>There are two standard alternate ports for an email server.  RFC2476 describes
>port 587 which uses a secure login to authenticate the user.  RFC2554 describes
>port 465 which is to be a filtered input port to allow a user to use it instead
>of port 25 but also stop spam from going through.
>
>Any port can be substituted for any other port as long as you know which port
>the service is on.  Some ISPs do use none standard ports for access but not
>many as it requires their users to be more knowledgable about how to set up
>their computer.

Well, that's good to know!

Possibly, based on your comments about 587, that is the reason I've not
had much success with the ATTGlobal ASMTP server.  Maybe I also need to
change the port.

I've tried asking their Helpless Desk, but . . . Well, that's another
rant that I'll spare you from.  But, it's one of the reasons I'm
looking for a new ISP that also provides good support for nationwide or
preferably worldwide dial in service.  Dial in service has been my
alternative when I could not get to an outbound server via a hotel,
etc.

THANKS, Bob!

Carl