os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1647

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Removal of 10c9 error on ThinkPad T30: Success!
Data: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:26:01 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

If any of you have run into the dreaded 01C9 error:

   WARNING
   01C9: More than one Ethernet devices are found. Remove one of them.
   Press <Esc> to continue.

There is a fix available in the form of a Linux iso (which also removes the 1802 error). You may read about this fix on ThinkWiki: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_error_01C9_-_More_than_one_Ethernet_devices

As I'm still "CD/DVD burner challenged" on my T43 (those of you present at warpstock may recall that my brother currently has my burner, leaving me with an empty bay - time to pick up a spare drive!), I needed to burn the image on one of my Linux servers using cdrecord. (Truth be told, I much prefer RSJ, but as this was only a 4MB iso, it burned rather quickly, though the finalization took a long time - "fixating" is the cdrecord term.)

Anyway, upon booting the T30 form the CD with the Atheros card installed, I was able to successfully change the device type to "other" (vs "ethernet," as Atheros uses). This in no way alters the vendor or device ID string, and GenMAC was able to successfully initialize the card upon a restart.

N.B.: This is an Atheros tri-mode card, 168c:1014. Even after properly installing GenMAC (via the included cmd file; I did not use Chuck's WarpIN package - which I now highly recommend!), the nif's for the Atheros cards did not show up in my list of available adapters in MPTS. I had to resort to manually editing PROTOCOL.INI.

Cheers, and happy Wi-Fi'ing!

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com