From: "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Wireless IP-Cam
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:28:11 +1100

Actually - it gets better !

You DON'T need to have your own registered domain name - you can chose one at dyndns.com - actually it will be a sub-domain of one of the domains they own - but that shouldn't matter for your purpose.

Plus this service is FREE

Please refer to the following page:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Cheers/2

Ed.

R. G. Newbury wrote:
This is a little obscure so I ddoubt you understand.
Get yourself a domain name...the cost is now very low and if you want, you can have you e-mail hosted under that name too.

You sign up with DYNDNS for the startling sum of about $25 per year.
DYNDNS then 'hosts' your domain name. so the external world's DNS servers resolve *your* domain name towards DYNDNS.

Dowenstreamm of DYNDNS, you run a small client program... which is built into a lot of routers, for example the Linksys WRT54G (with wireless) which I have here. That client program reports the IP address served to you by your DSL/cable high speed provider, to DYNDNS, which reports that address to the world.

Think of it like telephone forwardign: You set your main phone to forward your calls to whichever phone you are at. When you change phone numbers, you re-set the number to forward to.

How does this fit with your needs? You put a router at your parents house and hang the web camera off that. You browse to camera1.mydomain.com and sign in...
You can have multiple cameraa on the same or different routers.
You don't care if the IP changes as the name always resolves.

You need nothing beyond a router with the proper built in client program and the camera.. and of course a browser for access.

Way cool and actually easy to set up. I had a IP web cam set up here for a while, intending greater schemes but I cannot get a round tuit to start.

Geoff

Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE wrote:
clients are also built-in to a lot of routers as well so you don't need anything on the PC at all.

Leon

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Jeff, please see your private mail for details (later tonight). Meanwhile, sign up with DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.com) for Dynamic DNS service. This will allow you to access the unit via a symbolic name, with a client running on the "network" (within the router or on a workstation - clients are available for a slew of platforms, including Win32, OS/2, *nix, Mac) to send updates to the DynDNS server when the address changes.

Bear with me. I have to go Trick or Treating with the kids tonight, but I'll get back to you on this!!

On 10/31/06 04:34 pm, Jeffrey Race thus wrote :
Help please.   I have bought a DCS-6620-G IP camera which in principle
will allow me to watch over my elderly parents from afar (including 2-way
audio and remote control of zoom pan and tilt).   However I read a warning
in a review that my ISP will keep switching my IP address so even though
I can initially access it from offsite, soon I will lose that ability.

I recall reading about some service(s) which somehow can advise you
of an IP address change or even update a domain name database somehow.

Could some kind soul confirm my recollection and briefly tell me how
it works?  Even point me to a tutorial?   I'm hoping to set this up later
tonight.

I have a Toshiba  PCX2500 cable modem from RCN and a Speedstream
2614 router.   I am planning to put a Belkin F5D6231-4 wireless router
behind that (or replace the Speedstream with the Belkin as it has a
bunch of Ethernet ports too I now see).

Tell me all the gotchas too.

Help pls!

Jeffrey Race