os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1752

Da: "Rick R." <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: OT: JFS file recovery (was:hi All i know this is off-topic)
Data: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:22:06 -0800 (PST)

Ed, I was upset because you treated me like someone who could not figure out the difference between a driver loading or not loading or not even being installed.
As I had mentioned in this very mailing list, I have been doing battle with this T60p for over a month now.

And now that I finally got my whole system up & running on it I can say for sure (and yes my professional background allows me to say it as I see it) that it was not worth the effort.

The biggest drawback is the lack of HW support by the SNAP drivers.
W/o that I can;t even run VPC in full mode, much less use WarpVision or any other video tool.
And that I can't use VPC in full mode is indeed lethal in my job, as I do use VPC sessions to emulate all kinds of OpSys environments when I'm on client side (and quite often they better not even know what's under the hood).

Then the UniversalAudio drivers don't work, neither does the E1000 driver for the LAN NIC (and I know it doesn't load because I used <F4> during boot up).

I googled for that NIC and found that only Windoze, RedHat Linux and DOS are supported. OS/2 is specifially denied for the Intel Pro/1000 PL card, as are a variety of other OpSystems, Linux, BeOS and others.

It seems that card doesn't even support all flavors of Windoze.

And as far as the WiFi card is concerned, I could not even find any docu for that beast.
Intel Pro WiFi 3945ABG - I'm sure its listed somewhere under some other name, but it beats me how to address it under OS/2.
I think that the Linux folks also don't have that running yet on the T60p.

And then none of my USB devices show up, even so the drivers all load w/o error msgs.

Maybe or maybe not all those devices will someday be supported.
But I was told at WarpStock not to get my hopes up for any speedy SNAP updates by someone from eCS and I already know I can't use the video HW in productive mode w/o HW accelleration.
Even dragging a simple window over the screen turns into a jaw breaking exercise and I got tons of data stored on USB drives that could not just as well be on the dark side of the moon.

So I'll be selling that T60p again ($$$ down the drain!) and hopefully have more luck with a T43p.

:-(

Ed Durrant <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Hey Rick, How could I know what your profession was - by the way I have
now worked 30 years in the IT industry, so I'm also not a "newbie". As
for your comment on the value of hardware you use, as they always say,
it's not what price something is that gives it value, it's what you can
do with it.

Re: Genmac, you need to install the driver in MPTS - the genmac driver
will then appear in the list multiple times, one entry for each of the
cards that are supported. If your card is not in the list, it hasn't
been added to the driver yet and you should place a request via the
genmac list - genmac-user@netlabs.org - join the list first via the
Netlabs site.

Since you inferred that you have had GenMac working on a T42, I would
have thought you would have known this.

Chances are, as I said, that the Intel WLAN card in your new model
Thinkpad hasn't found its way into the driver yet. The driver is free
and updated on a best efforts basis by the Author, so it's normal that
there will be a lag for new hardware.

Ed.