os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1827

Da: "Christian Langanke" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: WPA-2
Data: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 00:27:45 +0100
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Sandy,

Sandy Shapiro wrote:
I don't see a wpa-supplicant.exe here. Where might I find it?

This is part of the XWLAN package, but can be used from the command line as well. Genmac.inf documents how to set it up manually, but then you should not run XWLAN for a WPA encrpyted connection at the same time.
My passphrase is eight alphanumeric characters. This is what works on this
computer under Windows using TKIP. AES does not seem to work under
Windows. I tried using eight hexadecimal characters under OS/2, but it did
not help. It just sits there searching and searching.

Concerning your passphrase, for WPA(2) I would suggest not to use a single word as a password, but rather a passphrase of at least several words. WPA itself is much safer than WEP, mut can yet be attacked by a dictionary approach. Using a passphrase of several words, which makes no sens and with some modified words and special chars and upper/lowercase mix would not be attackable by a dictionary aproach.

You may want to have a look at my presentation on WLAN security issues that I gave on Warpstock Europe.Please see download section of wlan.netlabs.org.

Just some questions about your router:
What HW is it ? does unencrypted connection or WEP encrypted cnnection work wih no problem ?

bye, Christian

Christian Langanke
COS2E & CWSE
Team OS/2 Ruhr e.V.