os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1856

Da: "Stanley Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Verizon FIOS &$^(%&%^&*%^ ?????
Data: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:42:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:08:36 -0500 (EST), Jeffrey R Smick wrote:

>Hmmm. And you're talking about the 15mbs neighborhood? Would anyone care to comment? Am I
>getting the best that cable can do? Should I be shopping around for a better setup?

I have had 15/2mbps for about 9 months now - it was 10/1 prior. It's the standard speed
from Cablevision in the NY Metro area. 30/5 'Boost' service is $10-15 additional depending
on which of the other services you have from them. Besides the speed bump, you also get 20
1Gig mailboxes, your own domain, 450mb of web space, the ability to setup your own web and
mail server (or now use CV's) complete with PHP, CGI, and backup. Only 10G of traffic is
allowed per month. CV also offers 50mbps symmetrical service for hundreds of dollars more.
It's all cable. And CV is experimenting with 50/100mb service for the home in some areas
of Long Island.

Verizon FIOS is being installed around Verizon's footprint offering speeds upto 50mps.

I strongly suggest going to www.broadbandreports.com and run the "FIND SERVICE" tool to
see what is offered in your area (complete with pricing). And using at least the Speed
Tool and TWEAK Tool (you're free bsd when it asks what OS you are running) to make sure
that your setup is correct and you are getting the max from your service. (though I will
say that after 10mbps that processor and disk speed are significant factors) If you can
find my "Networking for Non-Geeks" presentation at Warpstock's website (warpstock.org) it
has specific examples of how to change your settings to get better speeds.  Though there
are routers that can be the bottleneck, (such as the Netgear W614v6) that can not do
better than 4mbs with the firewall functions turned on or even 6mbps with it off.