os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #1941

Da: "Christian Langanke" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]xwlan profile access
Data: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:09:25 +0100
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Jerry,

I just read your mail about this very unusual setup. I can only congrat you for getting this to work, I never tried this ad-hoc stuff. Unfortunately, currently there is no way to send a message to the widget from outside. Communication with WPS objects  (here the xcenter), normally takes place via setup strings, REXX code for this would look somewhat like this;

rc = SysSetObjectData('<XWP_XCENTER>', 'WIDGET=XWireless LAN Monitor(SETPROFILE=myPofile);');

This would require two things :first a keyword like WIDGET,telling XCenter that the string has to be passed over to the specified xcenter, second, an interface within the Widget API to receive such strings. None of the two is available, while the first isn't a big deal, but the second would be a major change to XWorkplace. As I think the widget concept of XCenter  needs some overhaul anyway, I don't see much sense in implementing such on top of the current concept, but I am not part of that project anyway.

There is an alternative, of course, wich I can implement on side of XWLAN though. It would be possible to implement a proprietary inter process communication (IPC) between a utility and the active instance of XWLAN. An internal helper executable xwlprf.exe (not explicitely documented) is already part of the package. Among other actions that can be taken, it was intended to have a meaning to activate a profile before XWLAN gets active. It turned out though that this required the PM being initialized, while the requirement was to activate it in textmode, while processing config.sys, so this feature turned out to be quite useless. Moreover, if you try t set the profile with xwlprf while XWLAN is active, it has to refuse to work, as there is no communication yet implemented between the two, and modifying the XWLAN data directly may only be allowed for one program at a time. But I don't see a reason why an IPC couldn't be implemented to let xwlprf communicate with an active widget. This is a larger change though, and I don't expect it to come soon. Nevertheless I will put it onto my todo list, now that I know of a senseful used case :-)

bye, Christian

Christian Langanke
COS2E & CWSE
Team OS/2 Ruhr e.V.