From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Warpstock 2006 Wi-Fi workshop ideas
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:46:03 -0400

Hi, Larry!

On 06/10/06 01:57 am, Larry Tawa thus wrote :
In <157159.21.32.40.04.06.2006@independence.carrier>, on 06/05/2006    at 12:33 AM, "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
said:

Hi Lewis,

<snip>
Questions for your Wi-Fi presentation - no need to answer here. (1) what
routers are you recommending that handle 802.11a - WRT54G do not handle
802.11a. (2) for (1) what firmware?
(3) in theory routers from different brands should connect if they have
the capability with WDS; the reality I believe is problematic unless the
routers have the same firmware.  True or false? (4) What would you
recommend if one has different routers which fail to connect via WDS, what
other option would you recommend. (5) what websites are you referring your
clients to antennaes?  Are you focusing on the router antennae or adding a
PCCARD to say a laptop and then adding an external antennae? (6)
amplification of signal seems less a priority than antennaes.  In what
situation are you cranking up the routers power signal?
Excellent food for discussion. (I'm using 802.11a now, myself, so this should fit in well with the experience I'm gleaning). I'm also quite familiar with the Talisman firmware, and your setup  makes quite a bit of sense to me.

WDS is something I try to touch on, but which never quite gets enough coverage; I'll be sure to expand on this.

I'll have to review my list of add-on vendors and update that slide (antennas, pigtails, reflectors, etc.).

Sheer power vs attenuation: Excellent point.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!!!

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com