From: "Andy Willis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] OT: latest java version
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:51:41 -0600

Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE wrote:
* Andy Willis wrote, On 6/14/2008 7:13 PM:
Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE wrote:
* Andy Willis wrote, On 6/14/2008 6:10 PM:
Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE wrote:
* Andy Willis wrote, On 6/14/2008 4:29 PM:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:18:47 -0400 "Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
* Chuck McKinnis wrote, On 6/13/2008 11:12 AM:
Leon D. Zetekoff wrote:
HI guys...what's the latest java version? I seem to have 1.4.2
b05
Is there anything> 1.4.2 avail?

Thanks leon
The latest is Java 1.4.2_09, available from www.ecomstation.com.
Search for "1.4.2".

Thanks Chuck....will grab it but need 1.5+

I saw a thread at os2world.com concerning the ability to run 1.5
under
Odin. I think the problem was with javaws, but that the JVM itself
may have
worked. Try a seach there, Leon.

Not that it helps Leon but I just used Javaws with 1.5 (using the
replace exe method and not the ar5os2 method). The plugin is the only
thing I haven't gotten working so far.
HI Andy...actually the WS I think is what is needed as the browser
starts a jnlp file. WIll have to check it out.

thanks leon
Andy

If it is a jnlp file then we should be able to get you going. I think
I am currently still using javaws from possible Java 1.3 but I set it
launches Java 1.5. The easiest way for my quick check was I had javaws
working for Java 1.4.2 and I then renamed the Java 1.4.2 directory and
replaced it with my Java 1.5 directory so that the existing Javaws
setup was in place.
If you can show me a procedure what to try I'll give it a shot. It's a
video conferencing thing. Of course my ecs box has no audio on it but I
just want to prove a point :-)

thanks leon
Andy

Well the first part is setting up the Java. You'll need to download
the 1.4.2_09 from ecomstation site and install it. In order to install
1.5.0_07 we will need to install it on a Windows system and copy the
directory over. Then copy the exe files from the Java 1.4.2_09 into
the Java 1.5.0_07. Also the j2win.dll will be needed.
I'll have to brush up on how I setup javaws in the first place as it
has been so long since I touched the setup.
Hi Andy et al:

Here's what I did:

1. installed 1.4.2.09
2. xcopy'ed D:\java142 to a save directory
3. installed 1.5.07 on winbox
4. copied winbox install on top of \java142
'5. copied os2 exe from 142 savearea
6. copied j2win.dll from 142 savearea

invoking java -fullversion still shows 1.4.2 (which would possibly make
sense)
when I went to www.elluminate.com/support still get NETSCAPE UNSUPPORTED
JAVA VERSION (Using NS haven't tried firefox yet as I need to get it)

Thanks leon

Do a Java -version  as well as a Java -fullversion.  One or the other should report the correct 1.5.0_07, I had thought it was -fullversion (I used hexedit to fix the other and I think that was -version though this is not required).
I am not sure if the procedure was fully correct.
Instead of xcopying the java142 directory I just renamed it.  I then created a java142 directory and copied the directories from the windows machine to java142 such that it had the same structure as it did when java142 was installed.
I then copied the exe files over and the j2win.dll.
Andy