Od: "Stanley Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: WDS firmware for WRT54G
Datum: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:02:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:18:41 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

>And,
>upon seeing your explanation, my little four system network is not
>likely to put enough of a load to warrant such modifications.

Y'welcome. Well, it's for the WRT54G series only. BUT, WDS is suitable for SOHO situations
where the office is in an outbuilding or locations where signal strength is not good, and
where multiple computers are installed. So instead of having several wireless adaptors
that may get weak signals and difficult setups, you put in a WDS unit which is always
better at capturing the main unit's signal, to rebroadcast and connect the local clients
with a strong signal. Also, at $50/unit, it may be cheaper than buying several wireless
cards/nics and supports 4 computers with wires.

Also, since it's G wireless, you can use better encryption, and the clients can be hard
wired to the router box rather than using the weaker WEP encryptions.

But, I have  found with 6 computers, that having a Gigabyte SWITCH attached to the WRT for
the wired computers, makes the WRT much more stable since the intranet load is reduced.
So, I only have my Print Server, and wireless clients connecting to my WRT and the hard
wired computers connect only to the SWITCH. Makes watching video at any client from the
network storage much easier.