From: "Howard Winter" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: WDS firmware for WRT54G
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:30:13 +0100 (BST)

Stan,

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:02:41 -0400 (EDT), Stanley Sidlov wrote:

> Also, at $50/unit, it may be cheaper than buying several wireless
>cards/nics and supports 4 computers with wires.
>
>Also, since it's G wireless, you can use better encryption, and the clients can be hard
>wired to the router box rather than using the weaker WEP encryptions.

Ah, until you said that I hadn't realised that you can use it to relay a WiFi signal to *cabled* PCs - I
thought you meant it was just for repeating the radio signal to other WiFi-equipped PCs!  Now that would be a
very handy thing to do...

>But, I have  found with 6 computers, that having a Gigabyte SWITCH attached to the WRT for
>the wired computers, makes the WRT much more stable since the intranet load is reduced.

That's interesting - I imagine the switching behaviour takes processor cycles that otherwise can be used for
WiFi activity.  Not something I would ever considered.

Cheers,

Howard Winter
The H2Org
http://www.ecomstation.co.uk