Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Christian Langanke" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: xwlan 2.14
Datum: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:51:59 +0200
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Mark Henigan wrote:
Hello Christian, Michael, and list:

Please forgive the top posting.  This is more generally
about the topic below rather than addressing specific
technical points made by either of you.

On the Suntan Special CD, Neil Waldhauer provides a
script to disconnect from a wired LAN and to provide the
changes necessary for XWLAN to operate via the wireless
card.  He also provides a script to do the opposite,
i.e., to disconnect from the wireless card and rejoin
the wired network.  They are quite probably worth a
look.
I think I once checked these out. I don't recall exactly what the differences to XWLAN were, I think it was all covered, at least at that time, by XLAN. But if there are still some, it may worth it to review them. I need to keep in mind though that such a script must work under all configurations, so a scheme implemented by a certain script solution may be just fine for switching between cabled and wireless, but may be not as good for switching between different hotspots. So IMHO XLAN must implement the most general scheme possible, which is not always simple to determine. Moreover, the event driven code of XWLAN has gron quite some complex, as I wrote already concerning the route issue. A solution for one used that I testwise inplemented easily broke another one...
One "feature" that impressed impressed me was that it
corrected an error in my wired LAN configuration so
that upon reconnecting to the wired LAN, I was finally
able to use the router at work.  That doesn't say much
for my networking skills, but, it gives a positive
view of Neil's.
Ok, this can easily happen. Moreover, the LAN configuration script is not intended or cleanup by default, as it is supposed to run from a freshly booted system anyway. Just an example: for unconfigured interfaces you find a line "REM ifconfig lanx", for a proper cleanup a "ifconfig lanx delete" would be required. As a conclusion it may well be that cleanup code would needed to be executed in addition to setup.cmd, and that is what the XWLAN script feature is intended for. The script for disconnect event is executed only after WLAN has finished its cleanup of the wireless interface, so this approach should do well.

I also want to echo Michael's praise for XWLAN.  When
I use it correctly, it is excellent with my Cisco 350
PCMCIA card.  Without it, OS/2-eCS would be hobbled.
Thank you, Christian, for your continued support.
That is very kind of you, and you and all others are very welcome. I very well remember how I felt once this piece of software made my wireless life easier :-)

I cannot stress enough that I would like to have feedback on any of your scripts, as my intention is to make scripts mostly obsolete, if possible. So for any standard network environment I would like to see XWLAN being capable of handling all IP interface related configuration, at least for TCP/IP (it currently lacks ay support for NetBEUI).

If you use scripts, please tell me why and why you think XWLAN cannot do the same for you. You can make the TCP/IP commands excuted by XWLAN visible by executing the following REXX code:

/**/
call RxFuncAdd    'SysLoadFuncs', 'RexxUtil', 'SysLoadFuncs'
call SysLoadFuncs
rc = SysIni(, 'Wireless LAN Monitor:Properties', 'Debug_TcpConfigCommands', '1'||'0'x)

Then launch pmprintf (get it from hobbes) and see the commands executed .Please keep in mind that due to the complex code of XWLAN sometimes the same command is executed several times.

change the last line in the above code as follows to turn of the debug output again (consumes some CPU ;-) ):
rc = SysIni(, 'Wireless LAN Monitor:Properties', 'Debug_TcpConfigCommands', 'DELETE:')

_If_ a script is necessary, it should be that only for special things like e.g. certain network or host routes, VPN stuff, firewall issues or whatever. So even when WPA is not yet in (what I am very sorry for but can't helkp for that alone right now) I see still reqirements for further development of XWLAN. Solving as much network issues automatically as possible is a major part of this.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is highly appreciated.

bye, Christian

Christian Langanke
COS2E & CWSE
Team OS/2 Ruhr e.V.