Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: xwlan 2.14
Datum: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:37:44 -0400
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 06/27/06 03:54 pm, Christian Langanke thus wrote :
Michael Warmuth wrote:
Dear Lewis,

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
[...]

Per your second point, Michael, how do you propose setting the host ID
correctly such that a single address is associated with it? In my
experience, having two non-teamed NICs connected to the same subnet has
resulted in a tons of dropped packets and overall poor communication,
aside from the probable packet storm from other clients trying to reach
one interface and hitting the other.

As I said in my first post: They are never connected at the same time -
they are just configured (until XWLAN is running). First the LAN
interface - it get's is configuration using DHCP (and if it does not get
a lease it is configured statically). Then the WLAN interface
(statically): as the LAN interface has set the hostid and the route to
the subnet everything works - even starting the requester.

When I later switch from LAN to WLAN interface I pull out the LAN cable,
and turn on WLAN using XWLAN. Then the requester still works - even a
domain logon. (TCPBEUI is configured for both interfaces)

Ok the request may still work. What I really would like to know is if and then why it would still have connection. when I tested that scenario I made the experience that the cabled interface still configured took all IP packets and the physical connection to the access point was present, but IP communication was just dead. This explains my and Louis' statement...
Hmmm... Following up on my previous reply, I may have been thinking of mutiple default routes, however, that concept has no bearing when we're on the same subnet with the same default route. I'll need to experiment with this again to see what I get. I think I was originally considering how the workstation would know which interface to use for a given packet, assuming both interfaces were on the same subnet. Is there a stack option which will force the traffic through the live connection vs one which isn't? I didn't think we had that ability under OS/2 (to determine which interface was live - i.e., connected to something - and which wasn't).

<snip>

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com