os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #222

Da: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: TOT I think my T21 is dead
Data: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:27:57 +0100 (BST)
A: "os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

My T21 keeps freezing - regardless of what OS I boot. Initially I
thought it might be the NIC. As some of you may recall I had a fault a
year or so back in that it would not boot with the Intel Pro mini PCI
modem/LAN card. Turned out the modem side had a fault that stopped the
boot process in its tracks. Lewis kindly helped me out with another and
when I saw that for every freeze the link light on the switch had gone
out I assumed it was that again and switched it for a 3Com.
Unfortunately this is the one that does not play with OS/2 and has a
top speed of one byte a week. :-(

But now it is freezing with that card, although in this case the switch
light stays on. Unlike a "normal" WPS freeze this is solid in that not
even the mouse moves. The only way out is to hold down the power switch
until it gets the message I *really* want it to turn off.

Another symptom is that on a cold boot the IBM logo stays on screen for
ages before I get the password prompt and the boot seems to take
longer.

I have a copy of PC Doctor and that runs *all* diagnostics clean. So I
am somewhat stumped as to what it might be and which bit to kick. It
started a couple of days ago when I left it on battery, which ran down,
and it suspended itself. Restoring mains power I had quite a job
getting it back and had to reboot as it would not come out of the,
possibly, incomplete suspend because of the low power. Although it
worked the left hand battery light kept blinking and it was not
charging. A complete power cycle sorted that, but as I say, it has not
been right ever since.

Any ideas?

Assuming it is dead, what is my best choice for a replacement? From
what I read here and elsewhere it would appear that I would be better
off with a s/h T43 as the highest level machine to persuade OS/2 to run
on. Anyone know the highest model that fits on the same port replicater
as the T21? I seem to recall it changed with the T4x series.

TIA

--
Regards

Dave Saville