os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #223

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] TOT I think my T21 is dead
Data: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:42:37 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 08/04/08 01:27 pm, Dave Saville thus wrote :
My T21 keeps freezing - regardless of what OS I boot. Initially I
thought it might be the NIC. As some of you may recall I had a fault a
year or so back in that it would not boot with the Intel Pro mini PCI
modem/LAN card. Turned out the modem side had a fault that stopped the
boot process in its tracks. Lewis kindly helped me out with another and
when I saw that for every freeze the link light on the switch had gone
out I assumed it was that again and switched it for a 3Com.
Unfortunately this is the one that does not play with OS/2 and has a
top speed of one byte a week. :-( But now it is freezing with that card, although in this case the switch
light stays on. Unlike a "normal" WPS freeze this is solid in that not
even the mouse moves. The only way out is to hold down the power switch
until it gets the message I *really* want it to turn off.

Another symptom is that on a cold boot the IBM logo stays on screen for
ages before I get the password prompt and the boot seems to take
longer.

I have a copy of PC Doctor and that runs *all* diagnostics clean. So I
am somewhat stumped as to what it might be and which bit to kick. It
started a couple of days ago when I left it on battery, which ran down,
and it suspended itself. Restoring mains power I had quite a job
getting it back and had to reboot as it would not come out of the,
possibly, incomplete suspend because of the low power. Although it
worked the left hand battery light kept blinking and it was not
charging. A complete power cycle sorted that, but as I say, it has not
been right ever since.

Any ideas?
This tends to be a standard way for these machines to pass into the great beyond (I have one downstairs which does exactly this). I suspect it may have a hairline crack in the system board which results in one or more broken circuits, as I can greatly accelerate the occurrence of the deadlock by picking the machine up by one of the corners, thus flexing the case.

I've swapped RAM, hard drives, NICs, etc. and have found no way around it. To its credit, JFS runs through a chkdsk fast enough upon restart, but obviously, one of these times, the system is bound to lose data.
Assuming it is dead, what is my best choice for a replacement? From
what I read here and elsewhere it would appear that I would be better
off with a s/h T43 as the highest level machine to persuade OS/2 to run
on. Anyone know the highest model that fits on the same port replicater
as the T21? I seem to recall it changed with the T4x series.

T30 will fit on the T2x series dock and port replicator. The T4x series requires a new dock (which is backward compatible), and the T6x series require yet another model (not sure about compatibility, as I haven't yet tried).

The T43 is a safe bet, as all the hardware will work out of the box. UniAUD supports sound; SNAP does video; GenMAC and/or Broadcom drivers are available for networking (GenMAC supports the Broadcom NIC, but there are some side effects; the native Broadcom driver - NDIS2 - has its own set of quirks, so neither is a panacea); USB works, as does CardBUS. I like mine.

The T61 is getting to be a better choice (not better than the T43 from a compatibility standpoint, but better compared to where the T61 was several months ago). There is good NIC support (though if you require a valid MAC address on your wired interface, GenMAC will not provide that, nor do you have the ability as yet to override the null MAC it reports); SATA support for the internal drive is excellent (with no need for BIOS tweaking or anything else); USB; CardBUS (tested that over the weekend); Panorama supports video); and there is some ACPI support (I do not have suspend working on Diane's T61 at this point, and there are - ahem - "issues" with ACPI and UniAUD in the machine). Audio support is all over the map (I host a mailing list specifically devoted to eCS on the T60 & T61 - that should give you an idea of the issues facing us with this new generation of hardware). I have audio working on Diane's T61, but some youtube videos will lock the system solid (ACPI, undoubtedly).

If you want to play, the T61 is a beautiful machine, and I am looking forward to the point where I can migrate from the T43 into one for everyday use. Diane is looking forward to the time when she may stay booted to eCS instead of XP (which she detests). However, that said, if you want a machine you can *use* with a minimum of fuss and bother, the T43 is your best choice.

HTH

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Warpstock - Santa Cruz, CA, Aug 15-17, 2008 www.warpstock.org