From: "Carl Gehr" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] 'Throbbing' WiFi indicator on TPad T60
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:33:52 -0500 (EST)
To: "OS/2 Wireless Users List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

NOTE:  Below are comments on this thread AND on one w/Subject:
     "TPad T60 Connect to Linksys BEFW11S4 - Security Settings"

     I have also added a comment on the other thread that it
     seems appropriate to consolidate the two under this one.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:09:30 -0500 (EST), Carl Gehr wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:18:41 -0400, Julian Thomas wrote:
>
>>In <list-2312717@2rosenthals.com>, on 02/15/09
>>   at 09:37 PM, "Carl Gehr" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> typed:
>>>Therefore, I can only attribute the problem to the hardware.  But before
>>>I open a hardware ticket with IBM/Lenovo, I'd like to know if anyone else
>>>has seen the problem and resolved it without a service call.
>>
>>I have the same configuration, and have never seen that problem.
>
>Thanks, Julian!  Somewhat confirms my knee-jerk reaction that it is a
>hardware problem...
>
>After I sent the posting, I have had two other bits of strange
>behavior:
>1)  While normally, as I indicated, flipping the switch for
>    the radio  OFF/ON would bring back the steady light, a
>    couple of times last night, it kept blinking even with
>    the switch in the OFF position.
>2)  Then, this morning, even with the light steady ON, the
>    system lost contact with the router/AP.  Required a re-boot
>    to get it back. [The router was OK.]
>
>I'm not sure the latter problem is part of the same problem, though,
>because I've lost the connection a couple of times since I changed the
>AP security from WEP64 to WEP128.  Until this morning, recycling the
>power on the router/AP would re-establish the connection without a
>reboot.  This morning, it did not.  If the connection keeps dropping,
>I'll go back to WEP64 to see if the dropped connection continues to
>happen.

OK, here's the current, not very happy, state of things:

*  Placed HW call and replaced the WiFi card.
   ==>  Made little or no difference!  I've not placed
        another call, and won't until I can tie the problem
        down a bit more.

*  The connection is still dropping, but I can *usually* get
   it back by turning the radio OFF/ON and waiting for xWLAN
   to reconfigure the network connection.  The connection seems
   to last a 'few hours' [no hard/fast interval known at this
   point].

Just another point to ward off some anticipated questions:
*  This is not an issue of 'no traffic on the link' because of
   two things I've done:
   1)  I have PMPING running all the time, throwing PINGS at
       my two routers [one is the AP, one the main router to
       the ISP] every five minutes.
   2)  I have PMMail [E-Mail client, if someone is not familiar
       with the package] set to request download of new mail
       every FOUR minutes for each of five accounts, plus once
       an hour for a sixth account.
   So, there is plenty of traffic that should keep the connection
   from a time-out.

*  Related to the other thread that I started regarding:
   "TPad T60 Connect to Linksys BEFW11S4 - Security Settings"
   - It was suggested that I should install the latest firmware
     update for my Linksys router/AP so I could update my
     WiFi security from WEP64 to WPA-TKIP.
   - I did the firmware update.  Still could not connect.
   - So, I backed off to WEP128.  Connected, but this regular
     dropping of the connection started.
   - Now, I am back to WEP64 and the connection still drops,
     but just not as often as with WEP128.  Now, it is typically
     a matter of some number of hours instead of a part of an
     hour.
   ==>  I am about to go back to the firmware level that I had
        prior to the V1_52_02 update.  [The old level was
        V1.50.14.]

I'm getting desperate for some solutions to these issues.  Enough so
that I'm questioning my entire commitment to eCS.  I used to use eCS
because it was so stable.  [Note:  "was" not "is" stable.]  I just
don't have the time to spend baby sitting this system.

Please!  Any suggestions on this whole list of related items?
--
TIA,
Carl