From: Adam McNutt <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] Belkin F5D6020 802.11b PCMCIA FREE after rebate
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:22:35 -0700
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Actually, there are a few early production Linksys WPC11 V4 with the Prism 3 chipsets.  Manufacturers are notorious for changing chipsets midway through production.  I have every version of the Linksys WPC11 series and have 2 of the ver4 - one Prism, one Realtek.  I have had best luck with more OSes, though personally, with the Ornioco-based cards (early Prism).  These include the Dell Truemobile 1150, IBM High Speed, Orinoco Silver and Golds, Sony has a few.  You will recognise them, as they all look the same.  Noone strayed from the reference design, and they have a jack in the end for a more powerful antenna should you want one.  They can be had on eBay for pretty cheap, and I *know* they work.  I have 3 of these cards from varying years and they are all fine.  They are all square with the LEDs in the same spots.  Here's are links to a few eBay auctions for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74954&item=6727232749&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74954&item=6727310953&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42196&item=6726876712&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45000&item=5735098009&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45000&item=5736223972&rd=1

Grabbed these searching for "IBM Wireless PCMCIA"  "Dell TrueMobile 1150"  "Orinoco Gold"
Hope this helps you out.

Adam McNutt

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Could some kind soul who has had successfully set up this card please post the details to the list? I've had a couple inquiries concerning this one, and after making a recent discovery of some apparently misinformation on the OS/2 Compatible Hardware List (namely, the LinkSys WPC11 V4, listed as having a PRISM3 chipset, apparently has a Realtek RTL8180 instead).

TIA

BTW, I now have a LinkSys WPC11 V4 (new), so if someone wants to tinker, let me know and I'll ship it off. I paid $49.98 + tax at Staples here in New York for it on Saturday.

On 11/20/2004 07:54 pm, Lewis G Rosenthal thus wrote :

Sorry for the spam (okay, as Andy will probably point out, I'm not really sorry; I figured that this might be of interest to someone here!), but Micro Center Online (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=109835) is offering the above Belkin 802.11b card for $25 less a $25 rebate, which means that the only cost is ~$6 for shipping (US). And yes, this card is supported with the GenPrism driver or the IBMPrism driver (see http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=wifidevs).

I have no experience with the Belkin cards, though I have had some frustrating times with one of their broadband router models (several pieces, unfortunately). My experience with Belkin has been that they are not as fastidious whenh it comes to firmware updates as most other manufacturers.

Anyway, for someone on a real budget, this is a great way to get into the swing of Wi-Fi. Enjoy.

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)