Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] Which router?
Datum: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:58:10 -0500
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Some quick thoughts (aside from, or in addition to, what I've already sent via PM):

On 02/22/09 09:56 pm, Thomas thus wrote :
Hi:
Some time in the future I want to make a wireless connection from one building where there is
a computer and an Internet connection to another building that's about 200ft and several walls
away where I plan  to take my laptop to receive a 'streaming' Internet connection.
I have a wireless notebook card that meets the latest "G" standard. The plan at the moment is to use this service only occasionally  so a wireless routers come
to mind as the most cost efficient solution.
I do these types of bridging setups fairly regularly.
However my experience has shown me that *not all things are created equal* just like not all
hammers are the same.  Some are useful in pounding nails and others are suitable to be used
with a chisel.
:-)
My problem is compounded by the fact that there are, in my area at least, three Companies
that offer wireless routers for sale and they all look the about same from the outside (or on the
box) with one, two or even three antennas.
Three antennas would be 802.11n equipment (and you can get four antennas on these, too).
Another problem that I'm facing is lack of experience, and now I'm trying to catch up.
I think I understand what the multi-antenna thing is about.  It's about dual-diversity.
Well, that's what two antennas do, at least. To understand about more than two, you have to delve into multipath technology.
My latest excursion into a very big electronics store, I spied a replaceable antenna that
is suppose to add 7db of gain to the wireless router.  Naturally it wasn't free.
Don't be fooled!!! So many retail antennas are just hype. Go to a place which actually sells *antennas*. Moonblink (www.moonblink.com ) is a good start, or Fleeman, Anderson & Bird (www.fab-corp.com ).
So!  Will I be able to use the wireless notebook adapter that I already own with off the
shelf equipment?   And if so, which one?
I seem to recall using a wireless router in the past where the output was adjustable.
Any suggestions?

I lean toward the LinkSys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT firmware (though there are other open source firmware distros available). You can configure for client/bridge mode, where each end also acts like an access point (so you may use your notebook's wireless adapter to connect as well as bridging the distance over the air). That said, depending upon what's in between your two points (glass, brick, or open air), you may need a more focused antenna, which might preclude simultaneous optimal use as an access point. In this case, set up your wireless bridge, and set up a separate Wi-Fi AP for your "local" traffic on one or both ends.

PS - Glad you finally got this to the list!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation            www.warpstock.org