Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Jeffrey Race" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] Which router?
Datum: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:41:11 +0700
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Following Lew's earlier identical recommendation, I bought the
WRT54GL and upgraded the firmware.   The procedure is unclear in
the downloadable documentation.  At first I thought I bricked the
device, but using TFTP I was able to unbrick it and proceed.   Here is
the process I experienced.

 Firmware V 4.30.7

 Flashed December 6, 2008 per <http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation>
  and <http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX#WRT54GL>
  and e-mail from Rosenthal 8Oct08   FAILED

 View <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash>

 Hard reset fails

 Download <FW_WRT54GL_4.30.12.3_US_EN_code.bin> from
  <http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51306>

 Use TFTP to flash

 C:\TEMP>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT code.bin
 Transfer successful: 2941952 bytes in 12 seconds, 245162 bytes/s

 New firmware 4.30.12 build 3, Dec. 20, 2007

 Flashed December 20, 2008 with <dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin> (2.8 mb)
   from <http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html>
   (Tested OK from <https://secure.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/MD5SUMS>)

   Upgrade successful; wait 5 minutes before clicking Continue [forgot!]

   Hard reset (30-30-30)
    - Disconnect all UTP cables
    - Push reset button for 30 seconds
    - Without releasing reset button, disconnect power cord
    - Hold reset button for another 30 seconds
    - Repower
    - Continue to depress reset button for another 30 seconds
    - Release reset button and give router 10 seconds to resettle
    - Disconnect power cord for 10 seconds and reconnect
   All default settings should now be effective

  Successful;

  Then flashed <dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin> [checked hash]
   from
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24%2FBroadcom%2FLinksys%2FWRT54GL_1.1/>

  Use procedure at <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation>

Now I am setting up WDS connecting the WRT54GL to a D-Link G-570S.   For a clueless
novitiate like myself it takes a lot of fiddling with settings (literally days in my case) to get
the
devices to work as desired.   I have finally got them talking and transparently extending the
router's DHCP assignments via WDS (on my lab bench only).

Antennas: at one end I have a Cantenna and the other a 5 db gain antenna with a home-made
parabola.   This should work with good signal strength out to several hundred feet.  We'll know
Wednesday!

For the parabolic reflector:

parabola.zip    Program to calculate parabolic curve for antenna
parabola_vb6_sourcecode.zip   includes libraries if necessary
                   Details at <http://mscir.tripod.com/parabola>

Good luck.  Send more questions as needed.

Jeffrey Race