From: <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] OS/2 Access Point
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:07:08 -0500
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

In <E1CjsvY-0000Zp-00@pop-a065c32.pas.sa.earthlink.net>, on 12/29/04 at
09:14 PM,
   "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net> said:

>This is not quite true, athough at times it's hard to figure out what to
>call some  of the devices we use.  Strictly speaking an AP is a bridge.
>It convert ethernet packets modulated on a radio signal to ethernet
>packets that can travel over cat5 cable.

>The box might do other stuff such as acting as a DHCP server, NAT,
>routing, firewall and so on, but these are not what cause the box to be
>called an AP.

>I'm sure there are boxes out there that do nothing more than act as an
>AP.

My first wireless AP was just that and nothing more.  Had to configure it
using windoze over a USB connection.  It had one Ethernet port to connect
it to a wired network.  It was a PITA so I bought a Netgear wireless
router which has all the additional stuff.  Now a days it seems all the
wireless devices have at least a router and firewall builtin though.

Mark

--

 From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

 Warpstock 2004, Denver, Colorado, October 21 - 24, 2004  http://www.warpstock.org
 Warpstock Europe 2004, Arnhem, The Netherlands, November 26-28th, 2004 http://www.warpstock.net

For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

  "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)