From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] 1)Apology; 2)supported PCMCIA wifi cards
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 23:05:13 -0400
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

I am so sorry I've missed the fun in this thread for these so many days (Warpstock - and work - have kept me busy since tax season ended).

A couple short thoughts:

   * Why is the Cisco 350 no longer in the picture, Stan? I still have
     several of these cards, having been sent an "unwanted" shipment of
     another five pieces about a month ago. If you need one, just let
     me know.
   * The 802.11g router will slow down to 11b bandwidth as soon as a
     single 11b client connects; that's the nature of the beast.
   * Ethernet -> 802.11x devices are fairly common these days, thanks
     to game consoles with built-in wired ethernet. These devices do
     indeed configure via a web browser and use your existing wired
     ethernet adapter to bridge the connection to your machine. They
     work with ANY OS, too, and are available in 802.11g flavors.
     They're a little klutsy for notebooks, however, as they still
     require power from somewhere 9I don't know of any which draw power
     from the USB port, but this would be the way I would design one
     from the ground up).
   * Please go easy on the criticism of upstate New York. It's not the
     fault of those of us downstate in Suffolk County (or even those
     upstate) that we have two of the most liberal senators in
     Washington, that one of them is a carpet-bagger, and that neither
     has had an original idea since the one which came over each of
     them to actually run for office in our beautiful state. Yes, it's
     colder than a witch's t*t up there. Yes, there's snow for ten
     months out of the year. Yes, Troy isn't the prettiest little city
     I've ever seen (personally, I like Rochester). And while Rome
     wasn't built in a day, neither was Syracuse (okay, I stole that
     one from the Three Stooges, but I couldn't resist...). The bottom
     line is that the Jewish Alps...er...Catskills are still some of
     the prettiest sights on the east coast, as are the
     Adirondacks...as long as you're a mountain person like I am. ;-)

On 05/02/2005 02:44 pm, Stan Goodman thus wrote :

While I was abroad recently, I acquired a Cisco 350 card and installed it in my
T21. The installation and configuration were a lead-pipe cinch, completely
intuitive, and I was able immediately to use the computer with the hotspot of
the hotel I stayed at in Salt Lake City Recalling the fuss I made over needing to know the experience of others, and a
checklist of their procedures, I can see that it was all much ado about
nothing, and I'm sorry for exercising the group for very little purpose. (In my
defense, the situation was not helped by the advice of another user, who told
me flat out that I must seek the advice of someone who had been through the
process, because it was unlikely that I would succeed unaided.)

Unfortunately, the Cisco 350 is no longer in the picture, and I need to acquire
another card. In the meantime, I had also acquired a Netgear 802.11b/g access
point to use at home. This raises the question of whether there is any
802.11g-capable card that is supported, even if only in 802.11b mode -- the
802.11g mode would still be useful with Linux, which I am preparing to install
in the laptop machine. If not, I might resort to simply doing all on-line work
in Linux, with say, a Netgear 802.11g wifi card.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)