From: Stan Goodman <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] OT: Rensselaer
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 19:28:48 +0000 (GMT)
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

** Reply to message from Howard Winter <HDRW@hibernaculum.org.uk> on Tue, 03
May 2005 13:14:05 +0100 (BST)

> On Mon, 2 May 2005 21:18:15 -0700, Neil Waldhauer wrote:
>
> >...<
> >My freshman year, about 20 percent of buildings in Troy burned down, doing hundreds of dollars of damage.
>
> Wow, they must have *really* cheap building methods there!  :-)
>
> Cheers,
>

> Howard Winter
> The H2Org
> http://www.ecomstation.co.uk

Troy, in my time (1947 - 1951) was a very shabby town, with many buildings
dating from the War Between the States and earlier. In the UK, that would not
be an impressive age, but these were largely frame structures, of wood that
must have been pretty well dried out by the time the fire happened. Think of
the Great Chicago fire, much of which went up in smoke when, so the story goes,
Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern.

Truth to tell, I didn't even know about the fire until I read about it here. It
must have happened between the time I left Troy and the time when the Alumni
Association caught up with me and started to sent me their publication.

RPI can't have been much affected by the fire, being up on a hill and fairly
isolated from the downtown area. I.e. it is high; what is called in England the
"high street" is very low.

When I was there, Arrowshirts were made in Troy. Now they are probably made in
China, like everything else.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)